Libdem support in freefall since entering Government

Ever since the election I’ve been mocked and criticised for my viewpoints over the Libdems joining forces with the Tories.

Well now it seems that evidence exists that my viewpoints are shared by quite a number of people who voted for them.

The two opinion polls linked show their support amongst the electorate is now down to 13% and that 40% of people who voted for them wouldn’t have done so if they’d have known that this would have been the result.

I’ve said it previously and I’ll say it again, the Libdems had some good policies in their manifesto which have been abandoned to allow certain people 5 years of Government. The cost to this though to the Party must be very worrying to a lot of people and the question now needs to be asked as to what should happen now.

Personally I believe that if they stay in Government for 5 years they will be wiped out at the next election and you will find some MP’s defecting to the Tories and some to Labour.

Something should be done now though as their Party appears to be well and truly in freefall and their identity disappearing by the day.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/programmes/newsnight/8854870.stm

http://www.politicshome.com/uk/story/7361/

That's what you get when you've got another Tony Blair in charge of the Lib-Dems. The party will be shot to pieces but we'll hear that Nick will be doing some consultancy role on hundreds of thousands a year in a few years time.

At least the Lib-Dems 'green' policies have done Forgemasters & the Sheffield advanced manufacturing a big favour-NOT!

See Page 59 of Lib-Dem manifesto 2010 I quote:-"Reject a new generation of nuclear power stations:based on the evidence nuclear is a far more expensive way of reducing carbon emmissions than promoting energy conservation and renewable energy"

Nick is the reason Forgemasters didn't get that loan....that's if he's true to his word of reforming politics & doing what he says he's going to do!

Just makes me wonder how many people who voted Lib-Dems really knew what the consequences for the Sheffield job market would be in doing so.....especially when the other two main parties are in favour Nuclear power.

Same old story... for example...everyone wants a mobile phone but not a mobile phone mast. I suggest all people who voted lib-dems should throw out their 42" plasma & get a 14"CRT tv to back their parties stance! (if we continue to use more energy, with an ever expanding population, and rely on windmills ...wait for the power cuts!)

Edited by Bedders

That's what you get when you've got another Tony Blair in charge of the Lib-Dems. The party will be shot to pieces but we'll hear that Nick will be doing some consultancy role on hundreds of thousands a year in a few years time.

At least the Lib-Dems 'green' policies have done Forgemasters & the Sheffield advanced manufacturing a big favour-NOT!

See Page 59 of Lib-Dem manifesto 2010 I quote:-"Reject a new generation of nuclear power stations:based on the evidence nuclear is a far more expensive way of reducing carbon emmissions than promoting energy conservation and renewable energy"

Nick is the reason Forgemasters didn't get that loan....that's if he's true to his word of reforming politics & doing what he says he's going to do!

Just makes me wonder how many people who voted Lib-Dems really knew what the consequences for the Sheffield job market would be in doing so.....especially when the other two main parties are in favour Nuclear power.

Same old story... for example...everyone wants a mobile phone but not a mobile phone mast. I suggest all people who voted lib-dems should throw out their 42" plasma & get a 14"CRT tv to back their parties stance! (if we continue to use more energy, with an ever expanding population, and rely on windmills ...wait for the power cuts!)

The 200 jobs would have made a massive difference.

The 200 jobs would have made a massive difference.

200 jobs to start with! You need to think out of the box mate.....when Rover closed down in Longbridge it didn't just lose the jobs there, but all the suppliers of the parts as well!!!

In this senario we are talking about local material suppliers, transport contractors, rail networks, design contractors / drafts people, verification / Quality management the list goes on.

Forgot about DavyMarkham as well...they'd stand a very good chance of getting the contract to construct & supply the press....more Sheffield jobs created / secured.

This could have lead to 1000's of jobs once it got rolling & a near monopoly to boot!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Westinghouse_Electric_Company

http://www.world-nuclear-news.org/C_UK_partners_for_Westinghouse_1301102.html

Edited by Bedders
Davy Markham comment

the question is why were the government acting like a bank:suspect:

if its a good idea the banks will snap up the opportunity so where is the problem?

if its a good idea the banks will snap up the opportunity so where is the problem?

Errr have you heard of the credit crisis? you know the one where the banks aren't lending?

Errr have you heard of the credit crisis? you know the one where the banks aren't lending?

urr I don't think the greatest solution is for the government to become a bank.

You let businesses go under because the banks have messed up? The state is here to protect society.... I can't think of a more important role for it to adopt in such a situation.

it became one when it bailed out the banks so that they could get thier bonuses

Hum....I don't think you've thought this one through have you? How do you think we financed WW2? It wasn't through what we had got it was overwritten by the USA governement as lend-lease. You see governments acting as banks...get it?

80% of the debt is owed to the UK tax payer!

http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2010/jun/17/fiscal-deficit-threat

There is absolutely nothing unusual about what was proposed with Forgemasters. Through various schemes The government (Tory or Labour) has provided support for many other businesses on a case by case basis. Often when full conventional bank bunding has not been available. Sometimes when it is, especially if to a foreign company. Hope that link doesn't ruin your breakfast.

Exactly right . But we havnt seen the banks rushing to lend Forgemasters the money , which asks the question , Was lending Forgemasters £80m too much of a Risk ?

In which case i fully support the Governments decision not to risk tax payers money with this loan.

Also , the small detail that this country is in massive debt thanks to the previous failed Labour government racking up massive debts .