Buying a cheap Laptop in Sheffield - July 2010

Greetings

There is a huge range of choice on cheapish laptops at the moment. But- I would like to give a sheffield business my trade if possible.

So - can anybody recommend a spec/retailer of cheap laptops (ie less than £450 ish), that have a good build quality, offer good aftersales service and are jolly folk?

I do not need a monster in terms of "2011 gaming" performance, just a good, all round workhorse.

Thanks

MG

PS

I would buy a Macbook, but Goosebudgets prohibit

PS

I live near Woodseats...any warnings or recomendations about retailers, please PM me!

TA

..and could you get it to run OSX 10.5 :huh:

I have one of those except it has 4GB of memory and a 500 gig hard drive but it cost a bit more.

I don't know about OSX 10.5 though, sorry, but I am very happy with it.

I'm running Windows 7, Leopard doesn't seem to require much in the way of system resources so I imagine it would? What does Leopard have that 7 doesn't?

Edited by Grahame

I have one of those except it has 4GB of memory and a 500 gig hard drive but it cost a bit more.

I'm running Windows 7, Leopard doesn't seem to require much in the way of system resources so I imagine it would? What does Leopard have that 7 doesn't?

Leopard is the Mac OS, hence is uber stable and pretty much virus proof (without using a blocker etc).

People may disagree with the above, but I have run Macs since 1999 and never installed any protection etc, just kept the free Apple Updates, up to date (if you follow my logic). I also feel "more in control" with a Mac OS, and the painful side of life: work with Word, Excel, Powerpoint etc is the same.

Thanks for the feedback on the Laptop - I think the 3 gig/250 HD may be enough for my basic needs!