New monument found near Stonehenge

Wasn't this the place 'Time Team' had a special on.

Part of a vast burial site, both Henges joined by the river that runs by them, people would gather at the wood henge to celebrate the life of a loved one then some (important folk) would travel down the river. (a conduit between life and death) to be interred near Stone henge. Evidence suggests a path leading from the river. It was very compelling

Cavegirl beat me too it, and more succinctly as well.

That was bluestone henge.

Interesting article Wildcat, but why are the artistic reconstructions of prehistoric people always so bad haha?? Now that's an eternal mystery!!

I thought this was really interesting though-

Has anybody noticed that stone henge is 1.31 miles from bluehenge and that bluehenge is 1.31 miles from woodhenge? since they worshipped the 4 seasons does that mean there is another henge? and that it could be buried 1.31 miles from stonehenge and wooodhenge to make a giant circle?

For prehistoric people who probably understood life and time in terms of cycles this certainly raises an exciting possibility.

You might be interested in this site Wildcat-

http://www.sheffield.ac.uk/archaeology/research/stonehenge

It covers the recent excavations by the University of Sheffield and others around the environs of Stonehenge and attempts to define links and travelways between some of the local prehistoric monuments including Stonehenge, Durrington Walls and Woodhenge.

Prof. Mike Parker Pearson has put forward an interesting theory based upon his findings at the site (and ethnographic evidence from Madagascar) that Durrington Walls and Woodhenge were Neolithic ceremonial complexes (hence constructed largely from wood) that were connected to the funerary complex of Stonehenge (death being aligned with the more eternal material of stone) via first the River Avon (a transition stage between the living and the dead?) and then the Stonehenge cursus.

I'm interested to see how or whether this new find will fit into this theoretical view.

My son was on the Durrington Walls dig, he studied archaeology at Sheffield University.

The Parker Pearson theory is that the whole Stonehenge area forms a 'ritual landscape'.

Cavegirl, take a look at the other henges in the area that are left out to fit that theory. ; )

I may have studied there at the same time as your son :D

The whole of archaeological theory is now focussed upon ritual landscapes rather than site-based theories, it's not just Mike, but he did get a particularly juicy landscape to play with :D

Edited by Cavegirl

Interesting article Wildcat, but why are the artistic reconstructions of prehistoric people always so bad haha?? Now that's an eternal mystery!!

I thought this was really interesting though-

For prehistoric people who probably understood life and time in terms of cycles this certainly raises an exciting possibility.

I wondered about that.

The three points we have however don't look aligned right to form a square though. Bluehenge and Woodhenge appear to be primarily positioned to the river bank.

Edited by Wildcat

With due respect, as MPP is a nice bloke, the quicker he drops his preconceptions ie the "Ramilison" theory and stops looking for evidence to fit that particular theory and starts treating the evidence objectivley the better off archaeology will be, in my opinion of course.

Just looking at some of the background to the area.

The Boscombe Bowman (who came from the continent)

http://www.wessexarch.co.uk/projects/wiltshire/boscombe/bowmen

and the rich finds on the Amesbury Archer.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/history/archaeology/excavations_techniques/king_stonehenge_01.shtml

Talk of 'ritual' landscapes or 'ritual' anything always makes me smile... it seems to be a euphemism for haven't got a clue.

Edited by Wildcat

J

Talk of 'ritual' landscapes or 'ritual' anything always makes me smile... it seems to be a euphemism for haven't got a clue.

Too true. :hihi:

Hehe, you've no idea how many times I've excavated a pit full of nothing but soil and found comfort in at least being able to write 'possible ritual context' on an otherwise very bare context sheet haha.

Check out the very funny 'Bluffer's Guide to Archaeology' for more information on how we get away with such nonsense :D -

http://books.google.com/books?id=WV1yvtVQWT8C&printsec=frontcover&dq=the+bluffer%27s+guide+to+archaeology&hl=en&ei=rupJTIrxGoe44Abv2-mZDA&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=1&ved=0CDAQ6AEwAA#v=onepage&q&f=false

(Just scroll down the page for content)

Edited by Cavegirl

The Bluffer's guide to Philosophy was the most useful book I read for my degree course.. :hihi: