How to find great grandmother's maiden name

Hi Tuppie - this adds one child who wasn't mentioned in census returns - Henry, born Oct-Dec 1862. I'll see if there are any Valle graves when I go to Legsby on Tuesday - though naturally, families were often too poor to afford gravestones.

Thanks everyone.

I am told that Jacomine Valle came over from Italy with a boys' orchestra, he didn't want to go home and so hid in a wood and later married the Gamekeeper's daughter. This story seems to have a bit of poetic licence but quite a romantic story. Quite why, a boys' orchestra would come to Lincolnshire in the 1800's seems a little strange.

Hello - I know of an Angelo Valle, he lived at 4 Barron Street, just off John Street/ Bramall Lane. He was a mosaic worker. I have a document about him with a photo of him and if you are interested we shall be at the West Bar Italian night at the Garrison hotel, Hillsborough, Sheffield on September 9th. (see website http://www.west-bar-italians.co.uk)

Len.F.

...I am told that Jacomine Valle came over from Italy with a boys' orchestra, he didn't want to go home and so hid in a wood and later married the Gamekeeper's daughter...
An interesting story; it might of course have been "embellished" but it seems possible that there might have been a travelling orchestra, and this is one way that an Italian might come to Britain, a little earlier than the period in the second half of the 19th century when the Italian street organ and ice cream families began to come to Britain. For such an orchestra to find its way to rural Lincolnshire does need a little imagination...

The I.G.I. shows that Sarah's parents were William and Mary Bellamy. William might have been a gamekeeper at some time, though the 1841 census shows him as an "agricultural labourer" of Morton near Gainsborough.

Mrs hillsbro and I will have our pub lunch at Market Rasen tomorrow, and so I'll take the opportunity to have a look in Legsby churchyard. I'm not too hopeful of finding any Valle graves, but you never know!

Postscript - we had a nice day in the Lincolnshire Wolds and had a look in Legsby churchyard. As expected there are no gravestones with the Valle name on them, though as always there are lots of unmarked graves. It's a very nice little church.

Edited by hillsbro

Hello

Im trying to trace my family tree and have been led to this site, in particular this thread. My Dads Great Great Grandfather was Jacobie Valle and i am really interested to hear any information on the Valle/ Elvidge family.

Many Thanks

Leo

The Valle family lived up till recently on sharrow road Harry Valle or valley was my mums uncle . The house is next to the jaguar garage on sharrow lane and is a listed building . My grandad was called Hinch and I think it was his side of family . The Valle family live still on the grounds of the old aerodrome at coal Aston. The wife of Jacobine burnt alive in a fire at legsby caused by a parafine lamp falling over in the night by the way

John clarke

The Valle family lived up till recently on sharrow road Harry Valle or valley was my mums uncle . The house is next to the jaguar garage on sharrow lane and is a listed building . My grandad was called Hinch and I think it was his side of family . The Valle family live still on the grounds of the old aerodrome at coal Aston. The wife of Jacobine burnt alive in a fire at legsby caused by a parafine lamp falling over in the night by the way

John clarke

for a while now trying to trace my grandfather a Sheffield or maybe doncaster Clarke with so many Clarke's in the area it can be very hard:confused::confused:

post a bit more information flyer - names dates etc - I am sure there will be plenty out there happy to do some searching.

post a bit more information flyer - names dates etc - I am sure there will be plenty out there happy to do some searching.

fred Clarke married Florence Harden in Doncaster 1931 90% sure they was living with dads sister when they got married, but on moving to Sheffield remember visiting my grandad also I use to take basket of goodies to a sister on Upper-slack at that time i remember it as a one?? house st backing onto the don we had a shop at 511 penistone rd and as a 4yr old i could walk it alone??.

was put in Fullwood homes at 5/6 for all of the war so contact was lost could have asked the question later on but for reason's didn't now just getting a little nosey in my old age:thumbsup::thumbsup: