Britain was "junior partner" to US in fighting the Nazis

America was never going to win the war against Vietnam just because it was a long way from home and the US troops were fighting thousands of miles away while the Vietnamese were fighting for their homeland. If the US had used nuclear weapons they could have won, but who would use nuclear weapons against a third world country?

It's the same with Afghanistan which will end in defeat for the foreign forces (us!). No one has ever won a war against the Afghanis.

America was never going to win the war against Vietnam just because it was a long way from home and the US troops were fighting thousands of miles away while the Vietnamese were fighting for their homeland. If the US had used nuclear weapons they could have won, but who would use nuclear weapons against a third world country?

It's the same with Afghanistan which will end in defeat for the foreign forces (us!). No one has ever won a war against the Afghanis.

And quite frankly I dont know why we are there anymore. Some countries are better off being left to their own devices and customs. If the Taliban rulers one day regain power and demolish schools so the girls cannot get an education, make women wear burkhas and stone people to death it's not something i grieve over. It's being going on there for a few thousand years already.

Colin Powell once warned against getting involved in nation building and never a truer word was said. Unfortunately he chose not to run for president when he had the opportunity.

There's nothing in the way of optimism for a country like Afganistan anyway.

It's a mountanous country inhabited by warring tribes always was and probably always will be.

No giant international corporations will ever invest in that country, build factories and create jobs. There's just no scope for it

It's only a matter of time before Obama figures out a way to get out of the damned place. Unfortunately he's going to have to run the gauntlet of outraged Republicans who still think there's something worthwhile left to go on fighting for.

It's a mountanous country inhabited by warring tribes always was and probably always will be.

'Always will be' can't be right as everything changes eventually. It was only 300 years ago that the highlands of Scotland was a mountanous country inhabited by warring tribes. The similarities between pre-union Highland Scotland and present day Afghanistan are striking,

'Always will be' can't be right as everything changes eventually. It was only 300 years ago that the highlands of Scotland was a mountanous country inhabited by warring tribes. The similarities between pre-union Highland Scotland and present day Afghanistan are striking,

The Highland Scots you talk about always had that canny bit in their character even back then. Poor they may have been but they were not saddled with a culture that works to destroy it's own within.

Many of them saw better opportuinites by emigrating or moving to the cities inhabited by the smart and educated lowland Scots and soon integrated into their society

Not the same as Afganistan

I stated something similar in respect to the American Revolution. British troops fighting thousands of miles from home against a determined enemy on his own turf. What made it extra difficult for the redcoats was having to fight their own kin. They had had no problem against the French. When an American goes on about beating the Brits, I ask them what their heritage is.If its Irish its to be expected if its anybody alse not from British stock I tell them it is none of their business.

Somebody decided they would use a ship as their avatar. It is clearly a cruise ship, how impressive. So I ecided I would introduce you to my ship. She is HMS Naiad, a Leander class frigate of a little under 3000 tons displacement. She was the first ship I ever joined when she was brand new. Built at Jarrow's on the Clyde and completed in 1964. My job was to maintain her helicopter's avionics and the ship's radio associated with the chopper. She was also my favorite ship of all. I learnt recently that she was used as a target for misssile experiments and now lies at the bottom of the ocean. RIP old girl. I would not trade my time aboard you for all the silly cruise liners in the world. I have never paid to go to sea and I'm not about to start now.

Good, stay in the play time navy, it is merchant men that pay for your time showing the flag as it is called.

That is the most disgraceful insult to Scotsmen I have ever heard.

I cannot believe you uttered those words.

And quite frankly I dont know why we are there anymore. Some countries are better off being left to their own devices and customs. If the Taliban rulers one day regain power and demolish schools so the girls cannot get an education, make women wear burkhas and stone people to death it's not something i grieve over. It's being going on there for a few thousand years already.

Colin Powell once warned against getting involved in nation building and never a truer word was said. Unfortunately he chose not to run for president when he had the opportunity.

No giant international corporations will ever invest in that country, build factories and create jobs. There's just no scope for it

It's only a matter of time before Obama figures out a way to get out of the damned place. Unfortunately he's going to have to run the gauntlet of outraged Republicans who still think there's something worthwhile left to go on fighting for.

maybe the reason we and the yank are still there is because of something in the news a couple of months ago that the country has trillions of minerals beneath it?

like Iraq and Kuwait has oil.

USA is so big on saving the world they are ignoring North Korea - no oil/minerals/whatever profitable.

Back to the original poster. I haven't read the whole thread or seen the story but if Cameron is saying that then he should be ashamed of himself.

I am really pleased he is the prime minister and believe in the tories but to say Britain (did he include the commonwealth?) was only a junior member is a disgrace.

Good, stay in the play time navy, it is merchant men that pay for your time showing the flag as it is called.
I have a problem here, I only have a certain amount of contempt available, Please leave some for someone else.

maybe the reason we and the yank are still there is because of something in the news a couple of months ago that the country has trillions of minerals beneath it?

like Iraq and Kuwait has oil.

USA is so big on saving the world they are ignoring North Korea - no oil/minerals/whatever profitable.

Back to the original poster. I haven't read the whole thread or seen the story but if Cameron is saying that then he should be ashamed of himself.

I am really pleased he is the prime minister and believe in the tories but to say Britain (did he include the commonwealth?) was only a junior member is a disgrace.

North Korea is in the news much of the time in fact. Only yesterday their Dear Leader Kim IL Jong threatened to attack South Korea with nuclear weapons if the US and South Korean armies went ahead to hold joint exercises.

The man is obviously as nutty as a fruitcake but he does hold all the power and there are no signs of internal dissension or opposition to his regime in that country which is something to ponder over

The blockade of the southern porrts was in a good cause. To cripple the economy of the Confederacy whose economy was built on slavery.

The working class people in England even those in the northern mill towns were generally supportive of the war to abolish slavery while the upper mill owning classes didnt care less how the cotton was picked just so long as it kept arriving on ships into Liverpool.

Now I always understood that your civil war was about the southern states wanting to secede from the union.

I suppose you could say a pretty similar Idea to the war of independence...

Edited by grinder

The blockade of the southern porrts was in a good cause. To cripple the economy of the Confederacy whose economy was built on slavery.

The working class people in England even those in the northern mill towns were generally supportive of the war to abolish slavery while the upper mill owning classes didnt care less how the cotton was picked just so long as it kept arriving on ships into Liverpool.

Now I always understood that your civil war was about the southern states wanting to secede from the union.

I suppose you could say a pretty similar Idea to the war of independence...The war certainly was about secession, but slavery was a major concern. It was cheaper to buy slaves of low education, than pay people to gather cotton. The United States, still in its near infancy, would not have survived secession. It was, as you say, similar to the war of independence, except that it was American against American. There is still resentment in the South to this day, but you will see many more Stars and Stripes down there than Stars and Bars.:)

Edited by buck