What's it like living in Walkley?

What street/road did your Nan live on? My Gradparents moved to Walkley during the Blitz, we took over the house in 1950, my parents stayed there until shortly after the death of my Father when my Mother moved out in 1990, the house was sold to the father of a student

As far as I'm aware she was born on Fulton Road (her well-off mother marrying her working class father put her below the tram tracks :hihi: Unfortunately my great grandmother was disinherited for marrying 'below her station' :roll:) and that's where she lived as a child. As an adult and until her death she and my grandfather lived at the Rivelin end of Walkley (is this what people refer to as 'lower' Walkley?), on a street off the lower end of Walkley Bank Road.

And it also seems that you need to be a known 'face' in the Freedom Pub. They served everyone but me when I went in recently.

And when you ask them to phone a mercury cab, the taxi never turns up.:roll:

Walkley a great place to live, quieter than what you're used to but not actually that far, so you can go visit:)

As an adult and until her death she and my grandfather lived at the Rivelin end of Walkley (is this what people refer to as 'lower' Walkley?), on a street off the lower end of Walkley Bank Road.
Ooh no not lower Walkley, the Rivelin end would almost certainly come with a title like 'Baroness Loxley of Rivelington'

Ooh no not lower Walkley, the Rivelin end would almost certainly come with a title like 'Baroness Loxley of Rivelington'

What do people mean when they say they live in lower Walkley? It's all just Walkley to me. :P

What do people mean when they say they live in lower Walkley? It's all just Walkley to me. :P
Well the single decker bus service that used to go to the then terminus at Forbes Road Hillsbrough was classed as the lower Walkley route

Well the single decker bus service that used to go to the then terminus at Forbes Road Hillsbrough was classed as the lower Walkley route

So around Walkley Lane, that area? (I don't know what route it took, but I'm guessing it was somewhere around there, if it ended up by the Sacred Heart). To be honest, I'd never heard it referred to as lower Walkley until seeing it on here.

It's you who needs correcting you obviously haven't got a clue regarding working class, if the people living in walkely are middle class where do the working class live and what do they do for a living?

Generally they work in primary or secondary industry, this is a common definition;

"propertyless: of those who work for wages especially manual or industrial laborers;"

Not that they aren't salaried they work for a wage.

Of course I didn't say that no one who lives in Walkley is working class, I said that the majority weren't. I'm sure you'll find some that are though.

If you want areas with higher percentages of working class people you might try looking somewhere like Parsons Cross, Attercliffe, Tinsley, Darnall, etc...

There's a whole thread on the issue of class, you could look it up and see if you have anything to add.

In contrast middle class is often defined using these criteria

The size of the middle class depends on how it is defined, whether by education, wealth, environment of upbringing, social network, manners or values, etc. These are all related, though far from deterministically dependent. The following factors are often ascribed in modern usage to a "middle class":[by whom?]

* Achievement of tertiary education.

* Holding professional qualifications, including academics, lawyers, engineers, politicians and doctors regardless of their leisure or wealth.

* Belief in bourgeois values, such as high rates of house ownership and jobs which are perceived to be "secure".

* Lifestyle. In the United Kingdom, social status has historically been linked less directly to wealth than in the United States, and has also been judged by pointers such as accent, manners, place of education, occupation and the class of a person's family, circle of friends and acquaintances.

Which will obviously include many of the graduates who you seemed to be claiming were working class.

Edited by Cyclone

Once again you're pigeon holing terraced houses.

Ermm, no, I was responding to the several posts that made reference to them as if it couldn't possibly be middle class to live in a terrace house.

It remains a fact that Walkley has plenty of non terraced housing.

As it remains a fact that the type of house you own is not important as a pointer to social class, the fact that you own one however is.

My Daughter live in a terraced house in Hillsbrough, she's a school teacher

An occupation that immediately makes her middle class no matter what she wants to believe.

her husband works in IT, she laughed when I told her that she (according to some misinformed individuals) is middle class. If only was her reply.

Maybe as she's your daughter she shares your misunderstanding of what middle class means.

They mean the area with a postal address of "Lower Walkley". It's not that complicated.

I'm not quite sure where the boundary lies though.

I'll see your Lower Walkley and raise you an Upper Hillsborough.

They mean the area with a postal address of "Lower Walkley". It's not that complicated.

I'm not quite sure where the boundary lies though.

I don't think there's any such thing as a postal address of Lower Walkley. If people want to use that as part of their address to give a clue to where it is then fair enough.

Like lots of Sheffield sub-areas, where they start and finish is debatable. The Walkley council ward boundary for example is huge now and goes right down to the centre of Hillsborough so householders/businesses may choose to call their address one or the other. There's no boundary where Hillsbro stops and Lower Walkley starts, it's entirely subjective.

http://www.sheffield.gov.uk/your-city-council/elections/ward-boundaries/walkley

Edited by Bilge

Maybe you should tell all the people that live here then as that's how everything is addressed.