What's it like living in Walkley?

I would say that the area is in general a nice place to live.

However it is also a very 'mixed' area. There are a couple of small pockets of subsidised/ council houses (not sure of there precise status)... which usually seem to have small groups of scrotes hanging around - .

You do get the odd snob who can be a bit irritating (see above) but the area is OK despite them.

I'm about to move from a rental property at Hunters Bar to my own place in Walkley with my boyfriend. I'm a bit dubious about moving from such a vibrant area to Walkely. Does anyone on the forum live in Walkley and do you enjoy living there?

Be respectful and friendly and you'll fit in just fine. We dont like trouble makers round this end.

Sorry but you're way off beam regarding middle class and working class.

The vast majority of Walkley residents are working class.

So if the people now living in my parents old home in Cundy Street are middle class the must surely by your definition make Dronfield people the upper class.

That reminds me must send my Ermine to the cleaners and get my coronet polished.:hihi:

I suspect that you aren't using the common definition for working and middle class.

Maybe if you explain what you think middle class means I can correct you.

It certainly doesn't follow that if people in Walkley are middle class that the people in Dronfield are upper. In fact I'm not sure what relationship you think there is between the two different locations.

I agree with Bassman

How can you possibly be middle class and live in a terrace house with the front door straight onto the pavement? Pretenious class aye, buy what you can afford aye, but middle class you're having a laugh! No middle class would live on a street that couldn't house at least 2 cars!

Prentenious dicks that want to keep the student lifestyle up.

Middle class no, pretend it is yes? U live in a slum on a hill! Still share the same '****ter out on t back'?

Maybe it passed you buy, but the last decade saw a massive level of inflation affect the housing market.

Middle class is defined less by your address, and certainly less by where you buy your first home, and more by your level of education and type of career.

I'm puzzled, you regularly see people claiming not to be middle class who clearly are. But I've not seen people attempt to recategorise a whole area down in this way before. Do you live in Walkley and don't consider yourself middle class, or is it some sort of inferiority complex for your own status?

Edited by Cyclone

I agree with Bassman

How can you possibly be middle class and live in a terrace house with the front door straight onto the pavement? ?

Ok - look at Hunters Bar - one of the most middle class areas in Sheffield - yet mainly terraced houses - many of which cost far more than a new build 3 bed detached house in suburbia...

I agree with Bassman

How can you possibly be middle class and live in a terrace house with the front door straight onto the pavement? Pretenious class aye, buy what you can afford aye, but middle class you're having a laugh! No middle class would live on a street that couldn't house at least 2 cars!

Prentenious dicks that want to keep the student lifestyle up.

Middle class no, pretend it is yes? U live in a slum on a hill! Still share the same '****ter out on t back'?

I don't think you'll find many Prentenious folk in Walkley.

Depends if you knew it before the change, at the same time I'm not saying that it is bad but when my parents were planning to sell a house in Cundy St that they owned besides there own they offered it to us, needless to say our two eldest kids freaked out and said "There is no way we're going to live there".

Maybe they prefer being upper class as we seem to be branded.:hihi:

Prefer Walkley to Dronfield Bassman62 http://uncyclopedia.wikia.com/wiki/Dronfield All fur coat and no knickers your lot.

Edited by websters gue
Link

How can you possibly be middle class and live in a terrace house with the front door straight onto the pavement?

It's worth pointing out that there are actually quite a lot of semi's in Walkley, and even the odd detached. Not that house style is any indication of class.

There are plenty of areas in London with terraced houses worth over a million each.

young professionals who want to live in old terraced house

Thats very true, i'm one included in this, the main reason is we love old features such as a nice fireplace and period features and its great to own a real house rather than a house with no character. Also terrace houses are ideal as they are a good size for a couple with no children or 1 young child, no big gardens to worry about so more time to watch our big televisions and play playstation.

I think also it's because most student houses are old terraces so thats what young people are used to so automatically go for these houses. I've lived in new houses and now an old terrace and the older house is so much more solid the new houses have been built like paper boxes.

I suspect that you aren't using the common definition for working and middle class.

Maybe if you explain what you think middle class means I can correct you.

It certainly doesn't follow that if people in Walkley are middle class that the people in Dronfield are upper. In fact I'm not sure what relationship you think there is between the two different locations.

It's you who needs correcting you obviously haven't got a clue regarding working class, if the people living in walkely are middle class where do the working class live and what do they do for a living?

It's worth pointing out that there are actually quite a lot of semi's in Walkley, and even the odd detached. Not that house style is any indication of class.

There are plenty of areas in London with terraced houses worth over a million each.

Once again you're pigeon holing terraced houses.

My Daughter live in a terraced house in Hillsbrough, she's a school teacher her husband works in IT, she laughed when I told her that she (according to some misinformed individuals) is middle class. If only was her reply.

Maybe it passed you buy, but the last decade saw a massive level of inflation affect the housing market.

Middle class is defined less by your address, and certainly less by where you buy your first home, and more by your level of education and type of career.

I'm puzzled, you regularly see people claiming not to be middle class who clearly are. But I've not seen people attempt to recategorise a whole area down in this way before. Do you live in Walkley and don't consider yourself middle class, or is it some sort of inferiority complex for your own status?

So do tell us who/what working class people are and where do they live?