What's it like living in Walkley?

Lived here for getting on for nine years and really like it. Its quite a strange mix of people - a lot of folk who've lived here for generations then more recently slightly hippy/alt people who've moved into the area - I think the Yorkshire Post described it as like Keighley being invaded by Hebden Bridge - which is a fair enough description... the corner shop sells soya milk, Codrophenia has veggie/tofu burgers, there a Buddhist Centre and more yoga classes than you can shake a stick at, but the main supermarket is Nettos and there's lots of very trad pubs (though a lot of them are shutting down) - but it all seems to work reasonably well...

I spent some time in Hunters Bar two year ago whilst my house was getting some building work done - and forgotten how busy it was - everyone seemed better dressed and better looking - but a lot more unfriendly and a lot more idiots...

As described - South Rd has seen better days - Tescos (infirmary Rd) & Morrisons (Hillsborough) have just about killed it - but theres a great bakery, a good chinese, a really good Italien takeaway, good Italien & Lebanese restaurants, couple of ok cafes and two good flower shops plus I really like the family run supermarket... main thing its lacking is decent pubs - though supposedly the Blake is being reopened up soon by the people who run the Sheaf View in Heeley...

So all in all its generally a nice chilled place that easy to get into town or out down to Rivelin Valley.

... and the rates will be decidedly lower than those of Hunters Bar

Its not just South Road, Walkley St is the same, there was one or more shops on almost every corner, 2+ a pub Cundy st, 2+ Co-op Hoole st, 4@ Hadfield st/Burgoyne rd, 1@ Industry st. 1+shops across @ Cromwell st.

By the time my late mother left in 1990 there had been a marked decline in the state of the district.

The area shifted - there was a big increase in people moving in from out of the area - plus the move towards people doing their shopping at the (ever later opening) supermarket - Tescos wasnt there in 1990 - and Morrisons must have quite recently opened then.. people moan about local shops not being there - but then proceed do to their shopping at the big supermarkets...

The area shifted - there was a big increase in people moving in from out of the area.
Where to? other than the Kelvin Flats most of the new housing was a direct repacement fot that which was knocked down, the Langset developement being a prime example.

Where to? other than the Kelvin Flats most of the new housing was a direct repacement fot that which was knocked down, the Langset developement being a prime example.

I lived in Walkley in the early 90s - then moved back in 2002 and the main thing I noticed that had changed was (apart from shops shutting) how much the roads off south road had all become (in that horrible estate agents term) "gentrified" - many of the people who were buying the terraced houses werent the traditional folk who'd been brought up in the area - but were often people who'd stayed on after University - or had moved to sheffield due to their work - put bluntly - more middle class people moved into the area.

I lived in Walkley in the early 90s - then moved back in 2002 and the main thing I noticed that had changed was (apart from shops shutting) how much the roads off south road had all become (in that horrible estate agents term) "gentrified" - many of the people who were buying the terraced houses werent the traditional folk who'd been brought up in the area - but were often people who'd stayed on after University - or had moved to sheffield due to their work - put bluntly - more middle class people moved into the area.
Its a pity you didn't live there through the 50s 60s 70s & 80s.

The reality is that it is a dump compared to yesteryear. Middle class in Walkley no, they're the people who live in the big houses at Ranmoor etc, Upper class live at Chatsworth, working class live in Walkley be they ex students or pensioners.

The reality is that it is a dump compared to yesteryear. Middle class in Walkley no, they're the people who live in the big houses at Ranmoor etc, Upper class live at Chatsworth, working class live in Walkley be they ex students or pensioners.

My late nan (who was born in Walkley in the early 1920s and lived in the area all her life) used to say that when she was young, it was thought that the 'better off' people lived above the tram tracks (on South Road, when the tram used to run along it) and the working class people lived on the roads going down from the tracks.

The reality is that it is a dump compared to yesteryear.

Nostalgia isnt what it used to be...

Middle class in Walkley no, they're the people who live in the big houses at Ranmoor etc, Upper class live at Chatsworth, working class live in Walkley be they ex students or pensioners.

Fair enough - it all depends on your definitions - but I think many of the people who've recently moved into Walkley would fit most peoples definitions of middle class (BTW - not saying this is good or bad...)

Never seen the attraction myself, may as well live on a cliff and must be a pain in the arse when it snows!

I think that a large number of residents belong to the socio economic groups that are generally referred to as middle class.

. main thing its lacking is decent pubs - though supposedly the Blake is being reopened up soon by the people who run the Sheaf View in Heeley...

So all in all its generally a nice chilled place that easy to get into town or out down to Rivelin Valley.

I heard about The Blake re-opening soon as well. Be good if it happens!

I heard about The Blake re-opening soon as well. Be good if it happens!

I heard september..

My late nan (who was born in Walkley in the early 1920s and lived in the area all her life) used to say that when she was young, it was thought that the 'better off' people lived above the tram tracks (on South Road, when the tram used to run along it) and the working class people lived on the roads going down from the tracks.

There has always been two distinct areas of Walkley, the area around South Road and the Rivelin end. Some of the houses nearer to Rivelin are very impressive but Carr Road has some lovely big houses too.

quote fox20thc

I live in lower Walkley and it's lovely. Friendly folks - great newsagent and on the edge of the countryside. In fact I'm just about to don my walking boots and take the dog for a trot down Rivelin, (and can be there in five minutes)

I beg your pardon madam when have you ever trotted down me:confused::D