What's it like living in Walkley?

It is not too far from where I live. I used to do my running around there. I liked it & the people I would pass in the morning were very pleasant & said hi all the time.

I lived there three years ago and :love: it! its a great area, lived just off south road the rose pub is ok so close to city centre buses run every 5mins which is g8 if you cant drive, only reason why I left was the rent was too high and I had to move back home temporarily :(

Id be back there like a shot if I could xxx

I'm about to move from a rental property at Hunters Bar to my own place in Walkley with my boyfriend. I'm a bit dubious about moving from such a vibrant area to Walkely. Does anyone on the forum live in Walkley and do you enjoy living there?

I loved it round there. Especially being so close to the Yorkshire Bank bakery. I spent a lot of money in there feeding my greedy gob, then one day, they proper argued with me over me paying with a twenty pound note :|:confused:

I've never been back. (but go there, it's reight nice!)

Otherwise, lovely. Not really much difference to Hunter's Bar. A few less attempts at snobby joints, but far less traffic than around Eccy Rd. If you liked Hunter's Bar, you'll like it there, as a fair guess.

Edited by *_ash_*

I thought about living there, but the hills are too steep for me ! I couldn't cope with that in the winter hehehe But it looks nice, i pass through quite often :)

Walkley Lane can be a challenge when it snows. It's not always gritted as quickly as it could be, it was impassable for at least a couple of days earlier this year.

I prefer the small chip shop in lower Walkley to codrophenia, which I think is overrated.

There's a reasonable greasy spoon cafe on South Road as well, can't remember the name, but it's good value for a Sunday morning fry-up when you can't face cooking it yourself.

If you want a gym in the area then the closest is S10 (Goodwin sports centre), public membership is about £35/month I think.

Lived here for getting on for nine years and really like it. Its quite a strange mix of people - a lot of folk who've lived here for generations then more recently slightly hippy/alt people who've moved into the area - I think the Yorkshire Post described it as like Keighley being invaded by Hebden Bridge - which is a fair enough description... the corner shop sells soya milk, Codrophenia has veggie/tofu burgers, there a Buddhist Centre and more yoga classes than you can shake a stick at, but the main supermarket is Nettos and there's lots of very trad pubs (though a lot of them are shutting down) - but it all seems to work reasonably well...

I spent some time in Hunters Bar two year ago whilst my house was getting some building work done - and forgotten how busy it was - everyone seemed better dressed and better looking - but a lot more unfriendly and a lot more idiots...

As described - South Rd has seen better days - Tescos (infirmary Rd) & Morrisons (Hillsborough) have just about killed it - but theres a great bakery, a good chinese, a really good Italien takeaway, good Italien & Lebanese restaurants, couple of ok cafes and two good flower shops plus I really like the family run supermarket... main thing its lacking is decent pubs - though supposedly the Blake is being reopened up soon by the people who run the Sheaf View in Heeley...

So all in all its generally a nice chilled place that easy to get into town or out down to Rivelin Valley.

If you want a gym in the area then the closest is S10 (Goodwin sports centre), public membership is about £35/month I think.

Much closer is the gym in the old Bole Hill School the "Max Fitness Centre". I don't use it, but a friend is a regular and recommends it.

Hugh

I live in lower Walkley and it's lovely. Friendly folks - great newsagent ;) and on the edge of the countryside. In fact I'm just about to don my walking boots and take the dog for a trot down Rivelin, (and can be there in five minutes)

:thumbsup:

Much closer is the gym in the old Bole Hill School the "Max Fitness Centre". I don't use it, but a friend is a regular and recommends it.

Hugh

Or the Zest Gym in Upperthorpe (near tesco.) Gym and swimming pool, really good value for money!

Hugh

Yeah and its £4 a day or £30 a month...

My OH goes there :)

Hugh

I've seen that place, but never looked in. Does it have a pool?

Much closer would depend on which bit of Walkley you were in though.

Its not just South Road, Walkley St is the same, there was one or more shops on almost every corner, 2+ a pub Cundy st, 2+ Co-op Hoole st, 4@ Hadfield st/Burgoyne rd, 1@ Industry st. 1+shops across @ Cromwell st.

By the time my late mother left in 1990 there had been a marked decline in the state of the district.