What's it like living in Walkley?

Yeh like a backwater.:hihi:

That's wishful thinking Bassman62, Walkley isn't a backwater.

Looking at your attached threads the only price comparrisons between Dronfield and Walkley houses are between ex Council Houses in Dronfield and flats IE Pembroke Road in Dronfield, for example the low priced in Apperknowle/Dronfield are in fact ex council houses on council estates.

Strange isn't it that your middle class Walkley houses only just out price Dronfield flats/ex councild houses. Also the only house listed on my road is over £200,000 for a bog standard 3 bed semi

You didn't answer what the value of your house had to do with it?

I'm not entirely sure what the value has to do with it at all. Dronfield is cheap as chips compared to most of the slums of London, is that relevant, do you think that the price of housing determines the social class of those who live there?

You didn't answer what the value of your house had to do with it?

I'm not entirely sure what the value has to do with it at all. Dronfield is cheap as chips compared to most of the slums of London, is that relevant, do you think that the price of housing determines the social class of those who live there?

Strange isn't it that Sheffield has made several attempts to get Dronfield into its fold over the last 40 or so years.

Wonder why, nothing to do with raising Sheffields social status I suppose and raising Walkley from middle to upper class.:hihi:

What are you on about? You seem a little bit obsessed with Dronfield. I hate to break it to you, but it's nothing special and living there hasn't made you better or worse than anyone else.

I'll repeat the two questions you've so far failed to answer;

What's the value of your house got to do with it?

And, do you think that the price of housing determines the social class of those who live there?

What are you on about? You seem a little bit obsessed with Dronfield. I hate to break it to you, but it's nothing special and living there hasn't made you better or worse than anyone else.

I'll repeat the two questions you've so far failed to answer;

And, do you think that the price of housing determines the social class of those who live there?

Well nobody has explained why because some estate agent called Walkley a 'Middle Class district' the dustbins took it in and believed that instantly all the people of Walkey suddenly became middle class.

Nobody has claimed that everyone in Walkley is middle class. And my opinion about the area is based on my experience of living here. Your opinion appears to be based on not living here, is that correct?

Any closer to thinking up your answer to these?

Nobody has claimed that everyone in Walkley is middle class. And my opinion about the area is based on my experience of living here. Your opinion appears to be based on not living here, is that correct?

It was claimed on this forum that walkley is Middle Class when in actual fact it is and always has been predominantly working class.

I lived there from 1950 and left when it started going downhill, my late mother stayed till the early 90s.

Any closer to thinking up your answer to these?

I think he's suffering from this illness Cyclone. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Affluenza

It was claimed on this forum that walkley is Middle Class when in actual fact it is and always has been predominantly working class.

I lived there from 1950 and left when it started going downhill, my late mother stayed till the early 90s.

So you're opinion is 60 years out of date, or maybe only 20 years depending on how often you visited your mother and how much of Walkley you could see when driving in, visiting and driving out again.

In the last 20 years Walkley has had a large influx of recent graduates (generally middle class) buying their first homes and a large number of houses purchased and let to students (the majority of whom are middle class).

There certainly are working class people living here, but there are also a large number of middle class.

Obviously my view is going to be biased, the majority of people I know around here have moved to the area in the last decade, they are generally graduates of some level. But I think it's no coincidence that my neighbours are middle class graduates as well (I don't know them very well, it's just who they happen to be).

Do you actually think that it's just some sort of estate agent conspiracy?

Cyclone in brushing off anything remotely negative said about Walkley shock.

Not so. I think it can be a little noisy close to the main road. The traffic can be bad at rush hour and worse on match days. It's difficult to get up the hill in the snow. Many houses have only small yards and there isn't enough off street parking.

There are negatives wherever you live. However your not likely to get mugged, the people are pleasant enough and it's convenient for the tram into town. It's a good area to look for your first house if you prefer to stay close to the city and not look out at surrounding villages.

Ok, so Walkley has a nice range of people of all backgrounds (mainly nice but possibly some dodgy people), it has a few shops but not as many as before Tesco but there's good access to other places and you need to let common sense prevail (i.e. I won't be out alone late at night, as I wouldn't in any area and I'll keep my door locked). Is that the general gist of all these posts?!