What's it like living in Walkley?

Where's the new sweet shop going to be on South Road taxman?

Almost directly opposite the newsagent, a few doors down from the Italian Express

Almost directly opposite the newsagent, a few doors down from the Italian Express

Thanks, I'll have a walk up there with my youngest tomorrow.

Just been myself, it's almost opposite the Italian Express, has about 100 different types of sweets

There is a new old fashioned sweetie shop opening on South Road tomorrow. Nice to see local businesses setting up.

ooOOOoOOoOoOOO!!! I move away from Walkley and all these nice new shops open up - new greengrocers, new sweetie shop, you'll be saying the post office is coming back next... :)

Well, I haven't logged onto the forum recently so it's been a while since I've checked this post. My, how it's grown! I thought I was just asking an innocent question. I look forward to meeting all you middle class graduates and working class locals (or actually, maybe not all of you as some of you got a bit nasty!).

At risk of stirring things up again though... The government does classify people into classes but they don't call it working, middle and upper class. They talk about socioeconomic classes I, II, III, IV and V and base this on the type of occupation you have. Anyway, what does it matter what class you are? If you're a decent person I'll like you. If you're miserable, judgemental, arrogant, nasty, leachy, prejudiced, selfish, disrespectful or violent (this list is not exhaustive) I'll stay out your way.

Well, I haven't logged onto the forum recently so it's been a while since I've checked this post. My, how it's grown! I thought I was just asking an innocent question. I look forward to meeting all you middle class graduates and working class locals (or actually, maybe not all of you as some of you got a bit nasty!).

At risk of stirring things up again though... The government does classify people into classes but they don't call it working, middle and upper class. They talk about socioeconomic classes I, II, III, IV and V and base this on the type of occupation you have. Anyway, what does it matter what class you are? If you're a decent person I'll like you. If you're miserable, judgemental, arrogant, nasty, leachy, prejudiced, selfish, disrespectful or violent (this list is not exhaustive) I'll stay out your way.

The thing to remember is that Walkley is a nice place to live in, never mind the arguments on this thread.

There is no such thing as class in Walkley. Good people, good shops, good transport network, good pubs.......

What more could you ask for. :)

Thanks PaulWilliams. That's the kind of answer I was looking for all along! Here's hoping the sale doesn't fall through!

They have different jobs, but they are actually in the same class. If they were further advanced, they would probably live in S17

Changed your mind did you?

There is no such thing as class in Walkley.

Everyone can see what area of work you are in, unless you are telling fibs, if so, that makes you look foolish.

I missed this comment before.

What area is that then? Where I just 'use' bits of kit but don't create anything?

I agree that it's a decent area to live in, I think I said so on page one or two.

Can someone tell me what the area around Linekar road is like?

I live near Linekar Road - it is nice down this end of Walkley. You can have a nice walk up to Bole Hill Park or down to Rivelin.

However Linekar does seem to get a little more traffic than we do, people seem to use it as a short cut coming from Stannington to avoid Hillsboro. Still pretty quiet though!

And the new butchers is fab!! we will be def getting all our meat from there instead of Tesco!

The thing to remember is that Walkley is a nice place to live in, never mind the arguments on this thread.

There is no such thing as class in Walkley. Good people, good shops, good transport network, good pubs.......

What more could you ask for. :)

I'm sorry, but you say this like it is fact or something. It is purely subjective.

I'm sure the families of those stabbed or gunned down and killed within the Walkley area would disagree with you.

From my perspective, I have had some very bad experiences in Walkey and would not take up permanent residency there if I could help it.

I can't think of anyone stabbed or 'gunned down' in Walkley, so there won't be many of those families.