What's it like living in Walkley?

I'm about to move from a rental property at Hunters Bar to my own place in Walkley with my boyfriend. I'm a bit dubious about moving from such a vibrant area to Walkely. Does anyone on the forum live in Walkley and do you enjoy living there?

I moved here in February and love it.

South Road has nearly everything you need, a good butchers, a good grocer, various other shops, a bakery, booze shops, a cashpoint and Netto. There are a couple of decent takeaways and a nice Lebanese restaurant. Pubs aren't much cop although the Walkley Cottage is OK

It's close enough to Hillsborough to go shopping there and close enough to Crookes to shop there.

Buses are frequent - £1.30 into town.

You can walk down the hill and get the Tram.

It's close to Rivelin Valley and Bole Hills Park.

It's a bit hilly if you need to walk.

Great place, lived here off and on over 15 years.:)

I forgot to mention the awesome Codrophenia chippy - fab

I used to live a Walkley years ago, and found it a very friendly place.

I would say that the area is in general a nice place to live.

However it is also a very 'mixed' area. There are a couple of small pockets of subsidised/ council houses (not sure of there precise status)... which usually seem to have small groups of scrotes hanging around - but you get them most places :(, there are a few more quite studenty bits, with the vibrancy... and also the difficulties that entails. Until recently it was very 'locally' and insular but that is definitely changing with a lot of professionals moving into the area.

So I would definitely look at the general make up of the street as well as any house you are looking at. That being said I would definitely give it a thumbs up - though sections of it are starting to get quite pricey.

As to amenities I agree with what has previously been said.

Hope that helps.

I moved here in February and love it.

South Road has nearly everything you need, a good butchers, a good grocer, various other shops, a bakery, booze shops, a cashpoint and Netto. There are a couple of decent takeaways and a nice Lebanese restaurant. Pubs aren't much cop although the Walkley Cottage is OK

It's close enough to Hillsborough to go shopping there and close enough to Crookes to shop there.

Buses are frequent - £1.30 into town.

You can walk down the hill and get the Tram.

It's close to Rivelin Valley and Bole Hills Park.

It's a bit hilly if you need to walk.

I recently visited South Road, I was brought up in Cundy Street, Most of the shops on South Road Have long gone, well over 95% of properties on South Road used to be shops including a post office, bank, herbalist, two chemists, news agents, a dentist (top of Howard Road) the new dentist is where Nixons DIY/hobby shop once was, 3 gents hairdressers, ladies hairdressers umpteen butchers and Bob Clarks (fishmongers) plus 4 chippies.

Thanks guys. I think i just need to get over it and get used to a new area. i'm very stuck in my ways! There's a yoga school in walkley which gets a massive thimbs up from me

I would say that the area is in general a nice place to live.

However it is also a very 'mixed' area. There are a couple of small pockets of subsidised/ council houses (not sure of there precise status)... which usually seem to have small groups of scrotes hanging around - but you get them most places :(, there are a few more quite studenty bits, with the vibrancy... and also the difficulties that entails. Until recently it was very 'locally' and insular but that is definitely changing with a lot of professionals moving into the area.

So I would definitely look at the general make up of the street as well as any house you are looking at. That being said I would definitely give it a thumbs up - though sections of it are starting to get quite pricey.

As to amenities I agree with what has previously been said.

Hope that helps.

I lived here back in '91 and it was a lot more studenty then. It can be quite dead of a night time nowadays.

The loss of the post office was also a kick in the teeth.

To me it has a village feel, I love doing my Saturday shop on South Road getting top notch sausages and bacon from Chris Beech

I would say its got lots of steep hills ! and is bad in the winter time !

Apart from that i dont know lol

Walkley's great! Quite a wide area though, but on the whole, great transport links, good range of shops withing walking distance, friendly people! It is quite studenty during term time, but to be honest probably a lot less so than Hunter's Bar!

Can't say how it compares to your last place, having never lived down that way, but I love it!