Retro Chocolate Covered Mint/Orange Bars

Hi - I've been searching for these and haven't been able to find them. I think they were called Maxi bars.......any recollections. Orange or mint flavour and as an 8 year old they seemed enormous! Flat on one side and curved on the other.....sound right? No idea who made them though.

:D

Hi - No, it definitely wasn't Fry's. As previously mentioned, the middle was a sort of soft honeycomb - difficult to describe really as any description makes them sound horrible when they were really nice. I was starting to wonder if I had imagined them until I discovered this thread. My Nan used to buy them for us as kids to take on holiday to eat in the car.:confused:

I know the chocolate bar, it was called Anytime Bar and it was in a green and white sort of see through wrapper. I ate loads of these bars as a kid and can guarantee it most definetly is a Anytime bar.. None of my friends remember them but i certainly do. Not sure who made them and cannot seem to find any info on them either but at least you now know what they were called...:hihi:

Can anyone tell me the name of the chocolate covered bars you could buy year's ago. They did I mint one and an orange one, and it was quite a long bar, probably size of a double mars you can now buy. I would say they were at least an inch thick maybe more. The only way to describe the filling would be to say it was a sort of meringue consistency only firmer. You could scrape your teeth down em ! I know I need to get out more :loopy::loopy:

Hi they were called Maxibar puff candy and were in a white wrapper with green writing and some diagonal stripes at the end. They were really cheap which meant I could get one of them and some toffee nut popcorn as well with my spending money. I once thought it would be a good idea to pour milk into it to make a mint milkshake but the outer chocolate was so thin that the whole thing just collapsed I was distraught that I had wasted my weekly pocket money by this doomed experiment!

For the modern equivalent M&S do very good flavoured chocolate bars. They do lemon, orange (I think), coffee, strawberry and mint. The mint ones are my favourite

Thanks Mecky are they made out of a meringue type consistancy? I haven't come across anything like the maxibar since the mid 70's nearest thing is a crunchie but a much much lighter texture. I will have a look in M&S

Thanks!

Could they be Puff Candy they did a orange and a mint they were in a silvery white pack.the centre was like a soft cinder toffee.

Thanks Mecky are they made out of a meringue type consistancy? I haven't come across anything like the maxibar since the mid 70's nearest thing is a crunchie but a much much lighter texture. I will have a look in M&S

Thanks!

I think they class them as truffles and are something akin to the texture you get in a box of chocolates. You have them in boxes nears the tills (not every till has the same flavoured bars) and they're not cheap, maybe 70p for something the size of your finger.

I last remember buying a Bar 6 about 25 years ago, but I don't recall seeing them much at all after that.

I remember Bar 6. Wasn't that considered to be the poor man's Kit-kat? Pretty chunky though.

Does anyone remember Walters Potato Chips?

Not the long thin type crisps, these ones were similar to small/medium size pasta shells. If you collected the tokens on the back of the packet you got a red Walters chips badge. The only place I remember ever buying them was in the school tuck-shop in the early seventies.

Edited by poppet2

Does anyone remember Swizzkit? or something like that the advert used to go "would you risk it for a swisskit" and someone skiing in front of an avalanche. I think that was mint cracknel too.