Sell baked goods from home?

Well this turned into a lively debate!

There are loads of food type businessess that start from home.

Cakes especially have a very good margin and if they are good, they sell well.

I bought a chocolate muffin last week for £2. Very Delicious aswell!

Food hygene is paramount and a food hygene certificate is the first thing to obtain, in my opinion.

As regards to the fire risk, and i do this on a daily basis, as long as the equipment in use is suitable, not damaged etc and that you have daily open/closing procedures that are followed, then the risk of fire is very low. Electric ovens are better, as opposed to Gas.

Document what you do and get going!

And let me know when the cakes are ready!

Hi guys,

I want to thank you all,I was searching for information about this subject, and this discussion kind of put me on the right track.But also confused...

I want to start my business with confectionery (cakes,cupcakes,cookies...) but I don't have any savings to start up the actual business and I want to try our how would it go, so I have decided to try and become as self employed first and do all this at home.

This discussion helped but also confused,I want to do everything in legal,right way.

So what I've understood is:

- I do not need to have any special certificates and insurances?

- First, I discuss everything with my landlord?

- Then I go to council and....do what? Tell them my idea?

Then what? Scrub my kitchen until it sparkles and wait for ''them''? Or is there no such thing like inspections? ( <-- this really confused)

- I fill in self employed application form? (As I understand last thing I do?)

Would be grateful if someone could give me some answers!

From your list of questions I would say - Do number three - talk to the council and they will give you the best advice as to how to proceed - and yes they will want to inspect your kitchen as a matter of course before you start selling...

Hi guys,

I want to thank you all,I was searching for information about this subject, and this discussion kind of put me on the right track.But also confused...

I want to start my business with confectionery (cakes,cupcakes,cookies...) but I don't have any savings to start up the actual business and I want to try our how would it go, so I have decided to try and become as self employed first and do all this at home.

This discussion helped but also confused,I want to do everything in legal,right way.

So what I've understood is:

- I do not need to have any special certificates and insurances?

- First, I discuss everything with my landlord?

- Then I go to council and....do what? Tell them my idea?

Then what? Scrub my kitchen until it sparkles and wait for ''them''? Or is there no such thing like inspections? ( <-- this really confused)

- I fill in self employed application form? (As I understand last thing I do?)

Would be grateful if someone could give me some answers!

hi do you make wedding cakes?

It depends what sort of cake you want,but unfortunately I do not live in Sheffield.

You will need to be visited by Health and Safety to ensure your kitchen meets standards. This is only because you are selling from it. And I believe you still need inspection even if you don't plan on actually selling from your home.

basically there are 2 rules for ANYONE baking home goods

if your not charging any money for your time and someone gives you the ingredients then you can supply that person with a product produced in your home

If you want to sell your baked goods you will need a level 2 hygiene certificate

an inspection of your kitchen by the council

to register as a business

and you will also need liability insurance

these are the rules however if you are baking now and again for a charity that is ok but again you can not recieve a profit

stressedoutm

It's been 2 years since this convo.

:hihi:

Edited by Phoenixcater
Updating incorrect info.

I wonder what K bliss is doing now and how it all panned out?