Intake/Athelston/Stradbrooke Primary Schools

I'm due to choose a school for my lad to go to by the end of the year and have decided on one of these three. Obviously i am going to visit them bit was wondering if anyone had any one had any experiances of what these schools are like?

It's 'Athelstan'. My children went there. I hear it is improving since Woody left but it's not ideal. Have you considered a faith school?

I went to Athelstan when I was a young whipper-snapper. I loved it!! Couldn't possibly comment on it now though, I haven't stepped foot in there for 25 years!!!

My kids are there and doing very well at Athelstan and have done a great job helping with my eldest ones needs throughout his time there and getting him prepared for comprehensive school.

Imo the staff are great and have done a top job with my two,I would recommend to the school to anyone.

The one and only problem with the school is cars parking around the school dropping and picking kids up,But if you get there a bit earlier and park a little further away from the school and walk it is fine.

The problem is people coming at the last minuet the dumping the cars at the gates blocking pathways or blocking the roundabout so the bus gets stuck and then its total gridlock.

Wherever you decide i hope kid does well :thumbsup: good luck.

Intake is an amazing school!

Id recommend it to anyone.

Have you visited any of them.

Its nearing the end of term so you may have to wait until next school term to organise a visit.

Don't get too hung up on league Tables, look at the behaviour of the kids and if they are enjoying being there.

My son is at stradbroke primary and is doing really well :)

My daughter was at Stradbroke, from nursery until Y1, and we moved, and she left 3 months ago.

She used to hate it, she was always faking sickness, tears every morning, and she said the teachers and kids were horrible. But to me, the school seemed fine, I thought it must have just been her.

But since we moved, and shes been at Mundella, she couldn't be happier about getting up and going to school every morning.

Intake is an amazing school!

Id recommend it to anyone.

i have to disagree with you, my child went there and what opened my eyes was i had to go there one afternoon when they were playing out and the language that the children are allowed to get away with is beyond belief, i got chatting to a dinner lady who advised me to move my child out of the school if i had the oppurtunity as it had gone seriously downhill including an attack on a dinnerlady by a pupil that was allowed to go unpunished, we moved our child and it was the best thing that we have ever done, the school is also very big and impersonal as are the teachers

Thanks for the info. I am planning to do some visits when the schools return after the holidays, but it always helps to hear from people who's children already go.

Please bear in mind your catchment area school though when making your preferences. Is you dont put it down and your 3 preferences are full you may be allocated an entirely different school - read the Guide for Parents, its pretty useful.

Unfortunately you cant choose a school for your child, just make 3 preferences!

My son is at Intake primary, he loves it. Teachers have bent over backwards to help him since his previous school, Rainbow Forge, made such a mess of his education.

Rather confused at the definition of it being a big and impersonal school, it's pretty small - smaller than the other two schools you are looking at.