Queens road bus depot

Anyone out there who used to work at the Enginnering Bus Depot, I was ther 1978 - 1982 in the Sheet Metal Shop. Some great Lads and some charactors, anyone remember the handyman shouting WINNEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEY, or standing at the stores counter for ages.!!!!

Andy Birch, who I ain't seen for ages and Don Tilson who I will be seeing in a week or so, two mates of mine.

Hmmmmm not many left I dont suppose, still some of us still work on the buses, cant remember many of the sheet metal lads but know a man that will, Claira he used to be one of the Fitters in the bodyshop (more like a plumber tee hee)

After the fire. I worked in the engine bay after I came out of my time, then on shifts in the shop next to the main bodyshop, MT preps (thanks to the Union man, whose son wanted days, boo hoo!) and then the top shop untill Central Works closed, then off to Greenland rd.

Yes great times, the best, never to be seen again, even with Duckey lol

Send my regards to Poppo.

Edited by proops2000
Addition

Yeh i remember Ducky Daniels always going round asking to grip your hand he was a strong bloke. also names that pop to mind , Smurf (Handy man, moved up to Olive Grove Depot when it opened ) also Mick (tall lad in Body shop) Mutsy (Fitter) Brynn jones (fitter) stevie lee (body shop) Bill williams, Alan, ken,& ginger neil ( sheet metal shop) and joe (handy man metal shop) were are they all now!!!!!!. Great times long gone, Especially sending all the new apprentices to the stores for a LONG STAND!

Hello chowny1.

I was there at this time.

Ducky did a spell inside for interfering with little boys and died sometime later,Smurf is at Rotherham,Mick works for himself last i heard,Mutz sadly hung himself after his missus had a fling,Brynn Jones left around 84 and just completed a 5 yr stretch for assault.Stevie Lee i'm pretty sure ran the Stoops pub in Dronfield and might even stilll be there.

Enjoy the forum mate.

Hi.

I was at Queens Rd in the early 80's as an apprentice fitter working my way round the various sections like the pits, engine bay, gearbox bay, axle bay etc etc. worked a lot in the new pit section next to the body shop. I was in the same year/outfit as Marco, Mark McDonald, John Cundy, Paul wheeler & Vince, etc. I remember Mutsy ( Small guy but a good bloke, Shame what happened to him.) Graham ( fitter ) Glynn ( I think worked in the stores where we ' waited for ages' ). Was Brynne the fitter who died in a biking accident when some of the fitters went on a biking holiday ?? Frank Turton ? seems to ring a bell ( a foreman ). Remember Ken in the tool stores.

I remember the old coloured guy who used to sweep up and Duckie, who used to put the creeps up me !

I remember Pat in the fuel pump bay and the other guy with a big chin.

Yep those were the days. Shame they had to pull it down.

Cheers for the flash back guys.

Bob .

Edited by jimbobaroo

Hi proops2000,

I ended up at Greenland Rd as a fitter but left in 1989 to travel round Ozzy. Had some good times there too working with Mick Marsden , Steve Bell & me old pal Bob Troughton, who sadly died in '93/94. Many memorys of that place too.

I've just had a brainflash, my mates were at Greenland Road, not Queens Road. Sorry....dooooohh!!

Chowney, Bill Williams died a few years back, Bob wasn't it Berni that died in the motor bike accident?

It was strange that anyone with a landrover had bus mirrors as standard!

Sad to hear about Bill i did my apprenticeship under his supervision and he taught me many skills over the years. Last time i saw him though was back in 83 and like evey thing else you just lose contacts!.

hi proops2000,

Obviously you know me, but who are you ?????

Yes indeed it was strange about the bus mirrors on landrovers. And would you believe they're still on as l've still got the landrover ??? ( Sad. I know. )

Yea it was Berni ( not Brynne, knew it began with a B. ) in the bike accident, killed the girl pillion passenger as well who he'd only just met on that holiday if l remember rightly. Remember it well as he and Graham Finney used to take the mick out of us apprentices .

Bill williams rings a bell as well. Where did he work ???

Does anyone remember a Craig Mortimer who was a bodyman at central works ??

Edited by jimbobaroo

Sacko sat next to the urn in the top shop rubbing his thub and shouting, HHHaaaaaaarrrrrrrrddddddd!!!!