Where is the Grouse Inn???

Is the Grouse Inn still in existence? Cant recall where it was as not been for 18 years but somewhere out towards Derbyshire, near Dore and Totley area I think?....massive barn like place with a conservatory full of plants.....only ever went there in the back of a car on pub crawls so dont know much about its exact position...

Well you can rule out the Grouse and Trout at Redmires, it disappeared long ago. Ran out of business after the dams were finished. All that remains is the stone carved pub sign at the side of the road.

Grouse and Trout

There's a Grouse pub at Darley Dale nr Matlock.

All I remember is that it looked like a barn from the outside and had a big car park.....you went in through a greenhosue/conservatory thing full of plants into the main bar, and down a passage with a big back room bar. It was always open till the small hours in the mid 80's.....I wish I could place it, but it certainly looked like a barn from the outside...no sign up or anything I can remember...it was in the middle of nowhere near a crossroads I think of country roads......

anyone know which one it is, or was? had a painao in the back room and big snooker table, real fires, but what I recall most is the conservatory bit full of plants and wicker chairs.....

the pub at longshaw looks to be about right map wise...it was near to Totley/Dore by car, and near a cross roads, but the picture does not look familiar, unless there is a large car parking area down the side and a conservatory feature, long and narrow, and leaking in 1985!!

Desperate to go again....if it is still there....in 1985 it certainly had no pub sign and the car park was a waste ground dirt area more than a concrete car park.....well good for lock-ins it was...

I think by your description it is the Grouse Inn at Froggat. It is on the Sheffield to Bakewell road:thumbsup:

The A625? Could be.....think I will have to have a good look at it.....if it has a kind of conservatory thing on the side (but it was falling down in 1985 though) that will be it!!! Camnt find any large pictures of it anywhere...I am sure it looked like a large abandoned barn and not a beautiful stonebuilt country pub though...

Follow Abvbeydale Road right up to Owler Bar then turn right towards Hathersage, and as the road bends sharp right, take the left (towards Froggatt) and you'll find it down there.

Is the Grouse Inn still in existence? Cant recall where it was as not been for 18 years but somewhere out towards Derbyshire, near Dore and Totley area I think?....massive barn like place with a conservatory full of plants.....only ever went there in the back of a car on pub crawls so dont know much about its exact position...

ok.

my grand parents kept the grouse and trout, public house situated near the middle dam at redmires sheffield. the stone from above the front door has been errected near the origonal site, and is visible from the road. the pub was closed along with another farm/pub further up the road called the ocean view, because it was feared that sewage would contaminate the water supply. regieboy@hotmail.com

Might be a bit late with this one but do/did you mean The Grouse and Claret at Rowsley, on the A6 Bakewell-Darley Dale road?

It's the Grouse at Longshaw, a fine little pub.

Drive along Abbeydale Road/Baslow Road to Owler Bar, turn right up towards Fox House, then when the road curves sharp right turn left towards Calver, it's a short distance down the hill.

If you want to feed it into a route planner or online map, the postcode is S11 7TZ, the road is the A625.

As well as the Grouse at Longshaw, there were two others in the area.

The Grouse at Pewit (near Owler Bar) in Holmesfield lost its license c.1860 due to the landlord being rather erratic, fighting with customers and such like.

The one I think the original query refers to is the Grouse Inn at Totley Bents.

This was just up from the Cricket Inn and closed in October 1958.

http://www.totleyhistorygroup.org.uk/s/cc_images/teaserbox_33243131.jpg

Edited by wheaty
add weblink

From the description from the OP it's the Grouse Inn near Froggatt on the Longshaw estate.

I haven't been in a while but they used to knock out a mean streak and ale pie - well worth the drive.