Sounds of the Seventies

My neighbours guinea pigs squeaking.

"Clackers" Those things with the plastic spheres on string and..

Those long plastic tubes that kids used to spin around themselves that made the Whhhooooo sound...

Oh yeah, and the firm CRACK of a teachers cane agaist the palm of my hand :D

i once stood under the bridge between rustlings road and the park, aged 4, singing "get down" by gilbert o'sullivan. the place had a great echo for vocal! and there was the sound of the stream running past, for added atmosphere.

:)

biggest gig you ever played then eh pete :P

I loved the 70s . Starsky and Hutch on TV, fizz bombs, proper Tizer and Jusoda, cabanna bars, the sound of the steel work hammers at night in summer and the smell of fires when everyone was allowed to burn rubbish in their gardens. Oh and listening to Elton John's Captain Fantastic album on me dads 8 track in the car !

...being the first on our street to have a "trimphone" back in 72? As first seen on the new "Golden Shot" with Bob Monkhouse and Anne Aston! It only came in two-tone green (like ours) or two-tone grey at first, and was a real "revolution" at the time time because of its futuristic style and "space-age" bleep!!!!!! A far cry from the type we were all used to at that time ! (like the one Noel uses on Deal or No Deal)

Stone me, Pete! That song is also the very first pop song I can recall. What year were you born?

perhaps there is something very memorable about the song which has made us both remember it!

for me, it was the line "where's your mama gone? (where's your mama gone!)" which got me. i was three, and so i thought it must be a kid's song with a line like that!

now you can work out the year!

biggest gig you ever played then eh pete :P

lol! very good melthebell! :)

the gig under the bridge actually came about from a nasty prank by my big brother:

"wait there," he said, leaving me in the park, "i'll be back in a minute!"

i spent the next half hour alone, enjoying the acoustics of the bridge, and for ever after was hooked on rock 'n' roll.

it has been downhill ever since....

Stone me, Pete! That song is also the very first pop song I can recall. What year were you born?

What about their Samson and Delilah then ? ;)

the big rounded collars on shirts,the flared trousers and platform shoes,crossroads and coronation street,the old top of the pops with jimmy saville,it aint half hot mum,sundays being the most boring day ever,nothing open,being frightened to death by appointment with fear on a saturday night. summer was summer then,and you were guaranteed snow in winter,who can forget the summer of 76????

.....,and you were guaranteed snow in winter,who can forget the summer of 76????

wasn't there a mass of snow in winter '76? i seem to remember walking knee deep in it up in ringinglow over christmas....

but as this thread is about sounds, i have to add: i love the sound of crunching snow!

perhaps there is something very memorable about the song which has made us both remember it!

for me, it was the line "where's your mama gone? (where's your mama gone!)" which got me. i was three, and so i thought it must be a kid's song with a line like that!

now you can work out the year!

Same lines got me Pete - and the answering chorus of 'Far, far away.......'

The church bands going along the road at whitsuntide going to firth park

tv programmes like land of the giants. I used to stop what I was doing every sunday tea time to watch it. Who can never also forget the banana splits and the theme tune-altogether now, tra la la, la la la la, tra la la lala la la, one banana two banana three banana four. I am sure you know the rest