Xbox advice for my young son, please?

Hi,

I'd like to setup my son's xbox 360 so he can play it in his bedroom, after having it attached to the family television for a while. I'm not sure what my options are and am hoping someone here can advise me.

He has an PC in his room, and I've wondered about buying a lead so he can play it through his monitor (a VGA cable?). However, his monitor doesn't have speakers, or a socket for speakers - he used to plug speakers into his PC tower when using his computer. So, I'm beginning to think that won't be an option.

I've also wondered about trying to get a second hand TV so we can just use the connectors we used to use for the TV downstairs. Would that have to be a portable TV (there isn't an aerial socket inhis bedroom) or could it be a normal TV too? And, whichever, would I need to use a portable aerial as well, or not?

Thanks for your help! I've been trying to sort this out for him for ages, so would really appreciate any advice.

Hi, On The Xbox Tv Leads There is an Optical inPut So you can connect a surround system to the Xbox Through an optical cable, Or if he has a Stereo in his room, You can Connect it up via Aux Use the 2 red and white plugs on the Vga Cable, just buy an Extention for it, you can pick them up from Poundland/99p store, you just have to get Vga Lead, i have one spare for £5 if you need it,

P.S you dont need An Ariel, unless hes going to use the Tv for watching tv programmes. so just a portable tv would do fine. as long as it has the Red/Yellow/White plugs on it or a Scart Plug at the back.

Edited by stevesheff08

Thanks very much for your help!

He hasn't got a sound system either, so it looks like getting hold of a portable TV would be the easier and cheaper option for us.

I'll start looking - but let me know, anyone, if you're wanting to get rid of one?

Thanks again.

Someone has a Portable 20" for £10 in the for sales section.

You can pick pick up decent speaker systems for a similar price and the image quality on VGA is far superior!

If he already plugs some speakers into his PC then just get a little adapter like this:

http://pan.fotovista.com/dev/7/2/46000527/g_46000527.jpg

and one of these:

http://www.jex-electronics.com/ebay/usno4.jpg

Then you can attach the PC speakers to the audio connections on the VGA cable.

A couple of pounds from Maplins or probably cheaper from Bardwells.

Then you haven't got to find space for another TV and the picture quality will be much better.

Hey, jbaki!

It's ages since I posted this thread but today (lots of reasons why so long after....) I went to Maplins and bought the sockets you suggested. My son is currently upstairs feeling very happy about the sound!

Thanks so much for the advice. (And to everyone who offered help).