Sign in to follow this  

Private ultrasound-how much does it cost? Where to go?!

Ive just been told by my Dr that i will have to wait a couple of weeks to be able to have an ultrasound at the Hallamshire.

He also told me that i could go private but it would be around £100.

Has anyone else gone private for this before? If so where did you go?

Im not pregnant by the way, its stomach, liver and possibly gall bladder/gallstones problems.

Thanks in advance.

ask your gp or surgery they will tell u where your dr. refers patients.

there are 2 that were recommended to us last year, one was the Thornberry i think.

they are potentially beneficial in providing an earlier diagnosis than NHS, however my wife was removed from the NHS list (accidentally allegedly) becasue we had visited a private consultant.

Thanks willman, did your wife get put back on then? Doesnt sounds very good! I

suppose with an ultrasound they can see whats there, there and then so to speak! But did you have to wait for any other results, and did it take long if u did?

Thanks.

my wife was diagnosed immediately & was given the option for private surgery.between our consulattion & the waiting list of the dr. she had a scheduled appointment on the NHS. when we attended at Calow we were told that "we" had cancelled the appointment. (obviously we all forget we've cancelled and take time off work to attend anyway).

At this point it was found that the secretary from the private hospital had advised we were going private & therefore cancelled our appointment. Amazingly the surgeon was one & the same. he saw my wife at the end of his schedule and by the time his consultation was over we had a bed & surgery booked @ the Hallamshire.

this was Thurs, she was admitted Sun & operated on monday.

usually all results are almost instantaneous, the scans are downloaded onto the hospital server.my wife had an mri scan & viewed the results 30 minutes later with the consultant @ calow.

OH MY GOD, I JUST RANG THE THORNBURY AND ITS £263 FOR ONE ULTRASOUND!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

which hospital have you been referred to?

you can go "private" at the NHs & pay them for doing the US sooner.

We went to a private hospital in Leeds for ours. I can't remember the price, but it was somethnig around £200.

Well worth it though, as the nukel (not sure how it's spelt) scan is far more accurate than at an NHS hospital.

Originally posted by willman

ask your gp or surgery they will tell u where your dr. refers patients.

there are 2 that were recommended to us last year, one was the Thornberry i think.

they are potentially beneficial in providing an earlier diagnosis than NHS, however my wife was removed from the NHS list (accidentally allegedly) becasue we had visited a private consultant.

private diagnostics make no impact to NHS wait as people are listed by referral date so fit in the NHS queue based on their referral date and their clinical priority - you can only sohrt cut the system by doignthe whole thing privately

as for removing people from the list - that shouldn't happen - but don' expect private consultatiosn of diagnostics to put you ahead of others i nthe NHS queue for intervention

I had a private consultation with a neurologist at Thornbury Annexe and was then put back on the NHS liist.

Probabley because I enquired which bus I would need to get there. ( they didn't know )

hazel

Originally posted by zippy

private diagnostics make no impact to NHS wait as people are listed by referral date so fit in the NHS queue based on their referral date and their clinical priority - you can only sohrt cut the system by doignthe whole thing privately

as for removing people from the list - that shouldn't happen - but don' expect private consultatiosn of diagnostics to put you ahead of others i nthe NHS queue for intervention

never disputed those points - however the private clinic can tell u diagnosis sooner than the nhs waiting list.

i'm not complaining about the NHS they do a sterling job & deserve more support ,but u can get a consultant to diagnose you sooner privately than going through the whole procedure with the nhs.

This is exactly what happened to me. I was diagnosed within 1/2 hr of being seen privately, after attending for about 18 mths in the wrong clinic being wrongly diagnosed,

I would have had to wait another 6 mths waiting to be seen in another clinic while steadily getting worse.

I was put back on the NHS after the diagnosis

hazel

Originally posted by alchresearch

We went to a private hospital in Leeds for ours. I can't remember the price, but it was somethnig around £200.

Well worth it though, as the nukel (not sure how it's spelt) scan is far more accurate than at an NHS hospital.

Are you talking about the nuchal fold scan for babies?( an indicator for downs syndrome). It is not a standard scan for pre natal care in many areas.

For a scan of someones abdomen then the accuracy depends on many things such as the skill of the operator, the size and shape of the patient and the quality of the scanner. While private hospitals may have more funding for equipment there is not a lot you can do about the other two factors.

Obviously you will get seen quicker at a private hospital so if you can afford it then go for it as it will get you diagnosed quicker.