The Gouldian Finch

I have had quite a few zebra finches over the years and would now like to have a go at keeping gouldians, however I have heard that they are a little more 'fragile' in regards of the care they need etc.

has anyone had them before ?

will they happily co-habit with zebras?

and do you have any general tips ?

Also if you know of any for sale please let me know :)

Should be fine with zebra all mine used to be anyway.They do not like cold winds though.Id purchase cage n aivary or look on preloved.

I`ve had Gouldians before and they do mix well but as said they dont like the cold. A heated aviary is needed.

Thanks for info, just need to keep my ear to the ground now and find some.

The pet place at wentworth garden centre had some in about a week ago :)

hi,

i keep and breed gouldian finches,these are not as delicate as people think i have had them out in all weathers but allways have access to heated quaters, but as terminator as said they dont like cold winds.just feed them as you would a zebra finch ..give them ground charcoal and cuttle bone grit etc...they also like cress from time to time..i breed normals dilutes and yellows and have some chicks to sell at the moment...

thanks paul

Edited by skyline

I have had quite a few zebra finches over the years and would now like to have a go at keeping gouldians, however I have heard that they are a little more 'fragile' in regards of the care they need etc.

has anyone had them before ?

will they happily co-habit with zebras?

and do you have any general tips ?

Also if you know of any for sale please let me know :)

I had several Zebras and introduced a pair of Gouldians. They were ok at first but after a couple of weeks they looked poorly. I think that the zebras were bullying them and stopping them getting food. I was in the process of building an indoor aviary but the hen died and the **** was in a bad way with lots of missing feathers. He is in great condition now. Personally I wouldn't put Gouldians with Zebras. Maybe if there were more Gouldians it may work out.

---------- Post added 12-12-2012 at 19:24 ----------

hi,

i keep and breed gouldian finches,these are not as delicate as people think i have had them out in all weathers but allways have access to heated quaters, but as terminator as said they dont like cold winds.just feed them as you would a zebra finch ..give them ground charcoal and cuttle bone grit etc...they also like cress from time to time..i breed normals dilutes and yellows and have some chicks to sell at the moment...

thanks paul

I am looking to buy a hen to partner my existing ****. I am also looking to buy a unrelated pair. Can you help?

---------- Post added 12-12-2012 at 19:25 ----------

I am looking to buy a hen to partner my existing ****. I am also looking to buy a unrelated pair. Can you help?

I've got 1pr off gouldians and a spare **** bird for sale all in excellent condition

60 for pr ( incs dilute yellow hen )

£20 for ****

Hi I live in Sheffield I would like to know if you still breed gouldian finch. I am a new member Susan 567.

I have never had gouldian finch before I now have 3. I had 6 but three have died. I have been told it could be air sac mites. I am in the process of treating the three I have left for air sac mites as they don't seem very well.they are in a large cage in my living room. Any advice would be help full. Susan567

How old are they ? If you put them to your ear ,and hear a clicking sound it sounds like air sac mite,or they might be going lite

Hope this helps