Bus timetables, your next bus

In many parts of the country they don't have timetables on bus stops at all. In fact, I've never personally seen it anywhere except Sheffield to be honest. I grew up in a city without timetables on bus stops. You just waited for the next bus, most of them run every 10 minutes or so. If you're on a less frequent route, you get a timetable or ring traveline.

The timetables are publicly available all over the place. On the web, in various travel centres, in public buildings such as hospitals. For free. And you can plan journeys on the internet. Or ring up Traveline and ask them. For free. (Well, a call to a geographic number so very cheap).

The Yournextbus service costs a few pennies if you use it via text message, or virtually nothing if you access it via the web. It actually works quite well. I use it to gauge when to leave the house so I'm not standing for ages waiting for a bus. It's far more useful than a timetable anyway given that buses rarely run on time.

But don't let the facts get in the way of you having a good moan...

The Yournextbus service costs a few pennies if you use it via text message, or virtually nothing if you access it via the web. It actually works quite well. I use it to gauge when to leave the house so I'm not standing for ages waiting for a bus. It's far more useful than a timetable anyway given that buses rarely run on time.

But don't let the facts get in the way of you having a good moan...

Your next bus DOES NOT tell you when the bus is due in real time, it tells you what it says on the timetable.

Your next bus DOES NOT tell you when the bus is due in real time, it tells you what it says on the timetable.

Um, yes it does, for most services (not all).

So why have it advertised on the bus stop then, and now instead of a timetable if it doesn't work on that service?

I did use it once, to test it when it first appeared on the stop. It was the 14 route (now 22) and it didn't tell me the time on the timetable, which said the bus was due 1 minute ago, it told me 7 minutes... The bus arrived in 6 minutes.

Having no timetables is not the best idea though, what about a 14 year old kid, with no credit, who needs to be home, and doesn't even know if they've missed their last bus?

Maybe the 14 year old should take a bit of personal responsibility and make sure that (a) they have credit on their phone, or cash for a payphone, and (b) they know what time the last bus is? Surely it's not that hard?

As I said, there were no timetables on bus stops when I was growing up. I didn't even have a mobile phone. I still managed somehow.

So why have it advertised on the bus stop then, and now instead of a timetable if it doesn't work on that service?

In my experience it works for the vast majority of services. And even if it doesn't work, it will give you the timetabled arrival time.

So like I said it doesn't work on my route, 53, quite a major cross city bus route I'm sure you'd agree, and the whole point of this is that this has replaced the timetable and needs the person to have a mobile phone.

So like I said it doesn't work on my route, 53, quite a major cross city bus route I'm sure you'd agree, and the whole point of this is that this has replaced the timetable and needs the person to have a mobile phone.

I've just checked, it does work on the 53. There's one due at Lowedges drive in 2 minutes.

Also, it hasn't replaced the timetable. Timetables are still available for free in travel centres, on the web, etc etc

I've just checked, it does work on the 53. There's one due at Lowedges drive in 2 minutes.

Also, it hasn't replaced the timetable. Timetables are still available for free in travel centres, on the web, etc etc

I'll take your word for it that it now works on this service as last time I used it it certainly did not.

We know timetables are available in all the usual places but the original gripe was for people who are not on their usual route or visitors who would not normally have a timetable on them NOT being able to get information at the bus stop , and having to have a mobile phone if they did want such information.

The stops around me, and the ones I've seen on my routes still have timetables on and the new black & yellow advert so it doesn't appear to be a universal removal of timetables. Has anyone actually complained about where there are no timetables anymore to SYPTE?

I'll take your word for it that it now works on this service as last time I used it it certainly did not.

We know timetables are available in all the usual places but the original gripe was for people who are not on their usual route or visitors who would not normally have a timetable on them NOT being able to get information at the bus stop , and having to have a mobile phone if they did want such information.

I have been using this service on the 53 route for over 2 years now. It doesn't always work for every bus, but it works for most of them. I believe that a) some of the buses don't have the gps transponder, and b) the transponder doesn't always work all the time (I've used it when the bus time has been shown one minute and then the next time I've checked it it has the number of minutes 'til the bus arrives).

In my experience they are generally pretty good. My main issue is when I'm waiting at the station stop and the time until the bus arrives stays the same for ages (I assume this is because the bus is stuck waiting at the Interchange!).