Shiregreen tenants get new reinforced door panels to stop break-ins.

The money that sanctuary have put into the estate. The fact that if you lived in a Sheffield Homes, SYHA, etc property you might not have had the work youve had done. Driveways, all walls replasterd etc

The community feel. Theres a fun day at Hartley Brook coming up - cant remember exact day/time but its free, all from the TARAs fundraising etc.

The fact you can walk onto shops at 10pm for a bag of chips and not feel threatened (but no way would I do that at, say, Shirecliffe)

Everyone says hello and smiles. Because smiles are infectcious (sp?) try it, smile at someone tomorrow, say good morning.. smiles catch on, the next person will smile to another. etc.

When I go into my local shops the staff now know me by name and have a bit of small talk. The great bus service we have. The lovely green/woods we have on our doorstep. The vast amount of shops we have IN shiregreen and 2 minutes into Firth Park. Within a 5min bus journey/2min car/ 15min walk you have, post office, frozen food shop, butchers, fruitshops, off licences, carpet shop, bakery..... just a few to name.

Thats just a few that I can name off the top of my head.

Agree with the first part. But what about the boarded up houses, dog crap that doesn't get picked up(everywhere!!), the mess the roads are in which will probably be the last place anyone will sort. People's front gardens are a right state, toys, sofa's, fridges etc left in the front gardens, not to mention they have every seen a lawn mover or hedge trimmer.

Burgalry(sp?) - an 82 year old woman was locked in her cupboard last month while 2 young lads helped themselves to her pension money.

A man(I suspect a drug dealer) had his front window ripped out and 2 men go in and beat him up across the road from me.

The police have been on my road a few times due to kids hanging around and people arguing.

My sister is a special police officer and covers Shiregreen amongst other areas, she says she is scared of what she see's, espcially in lower shiregreen.

I use to come around her alot when I was younger and it was no way as bad as it is now. I own my own house unfortunatly, so work which has been done on the houses has no benefit to me, they should work on the outside a bit more

What are the positives? I live in Shiregreen and would like to know?\

I think that I covered a few of them already but anyway here are my list of my own positives.

Close to shops..loads of shops around here and all types, very close to Firth park which is a decent shopping centre, plus Morrisons at Ecclesfield.

Close to the motorway...self explanatory.

Quite a few reasonable schools in the area (not say the best but then we happen to be the wrong side of town for that don't we? :rolleyes: ).

Improvements have been made to homes, plus fences, walls erected, new drives and patio's laid to many homes (all making the outside look better in homes where people don't want a garden).

Close access to countryside, parks and open spaces.

Tree's :)

Generally people are very friendly, down to earth and reasonable.

I do realise that the estate is not perfect and there are a few troublesome people and not so great roads, but where ever you go you will find that, as I said before it is the attitude of the the tenants that wants looking at, and if you don't report it instead of just moaning then it never gets looked at does it? all in all I am perfectly happy here, I feel safe, it is convenient, others also feel the same.

Re the boarded up houses and the outside areas needing work....well the houses are boarded due to the modernisation program, they are not to let they are being worked on, or held for temporary use by other tenants, the roads looking and being a mess should also be sorted soonish Sanctuary has a big grant for this, so hopefully that will soon happen as well.

I am sorry that some people have a different experience of Shiregreen and I do sympathise I mean that genuinely...the rotten apples need removing from the barrel, but that won't happen by constantly calling the estate and the people on it, there are good and bad everywhere and I find this estate nicer than many that I have lived on.

Agree with the first part. But what about the boarded up houses, dog crap that doesn't get picked up(everywhere!!), the mess the roads are in which will probably be the last place anyone will sort. People's front gardens are a right state, toys, sofa's, fridges etc left in the front gardens, not to mention they have every seen a lawn mover or hedge trimmer.

Burgalry(sp?) - an 82 year old woman was locked in her cupboard last month while 2 young lads helped themselves to her pension money.

A man(I suspect a drug dealer) had his front window ripped out and 2 men go in and beat him up across the road from me.

The police have been on my road a few times due to kids hanging around and people arguing.

My sister is a special police officer and covers Shiregreen amongst other areas, she says she is scared of what she see's, espcially in lower shiregreen.

I use to come around her alot when I was younger and it was no way as bad as it is now. I own my own house unfortunatly, so work which has been done on the houses has no benefit to me, they should work on the outside a bit more

There you go, if ever proof was needed here it is, spoked by a Shiregreen resident who has a sister in the police forcce AND she covers Shiregreen, i rest my case.

I think that I covered a few of them already but anyway here are my list of my own positives.

Close to shops..loads of shops around here and all types, very close to Firth park which is a decent shopping centre, plus Morrisons at Ecclesfield.

Close to the motorway...self explanatory.

Quite a few reasonable schools in the area (not say the best but then we happen to be the wrong side of town for that don't we? :rolleyes: ).

Improvements have been made to homes, plus fences, walls erected, new drives and patio's laid to many homes (all making the outside look better in homes where people don't want a garden).

Close access to countryside, parks and open spaces.

Tree's :)

Generally people are very friendly, down to earth and reasonable.

I do realise that the estate is not perfect and there are a few troublesome people and not so great roads, but where ever you go you will find that, as I said before it is the attitude of the the tenants that wants looking at, and if you don't report it instead of just moaning then it never gets looked at does it? all in all I am perfectly happy here, I feel safe, it is convenient, others also feel the same.

Re the boarded up houses and the outside areas needing work....well the houses are boarded due to the modernisation program, they are not to let they are being worked on, or held for temporary use by other tenants, the roads looking and being a mess should also be sorted soonish Sanctuary has a big grant for this, so hopefully that will soon happen as well.

I am sorry that some people have a different experience of Shiregreen and I do sympathise I mean that genuinely...the rotten apples need removing from the barrel, but that won't happen by constantly calling the estate and the people on it, there are good and bad everywhere and I find this estate nicer than many that I have lived on.

Positives? Moonbird, you have just picked things that any estate in Sheffield already seems to have, however most people nowadays are concerned with anti social behavior, something this area has major trouble with without a doubt, people that own their houses can't even sell them because by law they have to state if there is any anti social behavior and as a consequence people are not buying them.

Are you still banging on taximark?

Just because someone in a uniform walks around the area, sorry but I dont think it makes them any more knowledgeable than someone who lives on the estate. Born and bred on Shiregreen I am and I honestly, dont think that someone who walks around a few hours a week is in a better position to pass judgement. If im being honest.

And erm, every estate doesnt have what moonbird put. And people can, and do, sell their houses on Shiregreen. Just as people buy on here. If it was that bad people wouldnt have bought in the first place would they? ;)

Are you still banging on taximark?

Just because someone in a uniform walks around the area, sorry but I dont think it makes them any more knowledgeable than someone who lives on the estate. Born and bred on Shiregreen I am and I honestly, dont think that someone who walks around a few hours a week is in a better position to pass judgement. If im being honest.

And erm, every estate doesnt have what moonbird put. And people can, and do, sell their houses on Shiregreen. Just as people buy on here. If it was that bad people wouldnt have bought in the first place would they? ;)

What did you make of Kirstys comment then? you know an actual resident who lives on Shiregreen that you conveniently forgot?

BTW still banging yes, like your good self.

i live in shiregreen think its ok and not as bad as alot of estates ive lived/been to. certainly seems to be more saying its ok that the one person who lives here saying its not .

There just doesn't seem to be any point in replying at all unless it's to slate the estate because that is all that some people will accept as being the truth.

No matter that quite a few people who live there find it otherwise, that is not good enough and cannot possibly be accurate because a couple of people had bad experiences.

So I won't bother posting further because it's just getting on my nerves now.

But to anyone thinking of moving to Shiregreen I will say this, visit the area, talk to people in the vicinity of where you will be living, walk/drive around at different times of the day especially tea time, some parts are better than others and there does seem to be a bit more hassle in the most lower parts of the estate (Butterthwaite/Papermill areas), don't take the word of a couple of people with bad experiences against the word of others who are perfectly happy there, find out for yourself with an open mind.

i wonder how many posters from sf actually attend any of the tara meetings regarding the anti social behaviour ?when i attended these meetings and went to the hartley for a pint afterwards many of the people would ask me what was said and what was going to be done .my reply was get off your arse and attend the next meeting and either give some input into what needs to be done or simply dont bother and accept whats happening in the area:huh:. spouting off on sf will not get anything done instead do yourself a favour and attend these meetings to at least try and do something about it .:thumbsup: