Shiregreen tenants get new reinforced door panels to stop break-ins.

live on the manor do you?

Thankfully not.:hihi:

i personally am not keen on the area but have you a link to support your claims?

Well my sister lived on the estate for 20 years and i saw how nice it was at first to how disgusting it is now, fair do's some people might have been lucky and therefore haven't encountered any issues like break ins etc, but overall its just a horrible place to live.

The bus drivers remark above your op sums it up.

Well my sister lived on the estate for 20 years and i saw how nice it was at first to how disgusting it is now, fair do's some people might have been lucky and therefore haven't encountered any issues like break ins etc, but overall its just a horrible place to live.

again like i say live there do you?...no well stop slating it them its not people on estates that give them bad names its stuck up 2bit nothings that do!

again like i say live there do you?...no well stop slating it them its not people on estates that give them bad names its stuck up 2bit nothings that do!

You don't have to live in an area to be able to see the state of some of the properties. I've been through Shiregreen a few times lately and some of the gardens resemble mud baths or car spares dealers! There are other housing estates all over the country that are like that, and I've been in quite a few.

It can be soul destroying for those who try and keep houses and gardens nice when some neighbours don't seem to give a damn. Whats wrong with wanting to live in a place that looks nice and feels safe? I'd say that was normal, not stuck up.

You don't have to live in an area to be able to see the state of some of the properties. I've been through Shiregreen a few times lately and some of the gardens resemble mud baths or car spares dealers! There are other housing estates all over the country that are like that, and I've been in quite a few.

It can be soul destroying for those who try and keep houses and gardens nice when some neighbours don't seem to give a damn. Whats wrong with wanting to live in a place that looks nice and feels safe? I'd say that was normal, not stuck up.

theres nothing wrong with wanting to live somewhere that safe nice and where people keep their house looking nice, i do,the wybourn, but tell me how can you judge a place if you dont actually live there, also whats gives someone the right to slate a place that a lot of good honest people call home? Iv drove through many places in sheffield where a few homes spoil it for the rest such as norton, fulwood etc this doesn't just apply to estates. However people who dont live here are often the ones that give them a bad name, thats stuck up

And like I've repeated Paul no I don't, however years ago it was a fantastic place to live, in fact iirc there was something like a 10 year Council waiting list for that area but now all you see is boarded up houses, this must say something about the area.

Also as a taxi driver i drive through there picking up and dropping off, lots of nice people but also lots of horrible nasty people have appeared in the last 6 (imo) years spoiling it for everyone.

Sorry if this hurts you Paul the Roofer but i get to see what people are like living in certain areas, Shiregreen isn't my favourite.

It's ironic that all the pubs in that area have been flattened (Sicey, Horseshoe, Shiregreen Hotel, Huntsman) apart from the worst (Penguin) :hihi:

i cannot comment on shiregreen as i have previously sais said im from the wybourn, i was just commenting on how sometimes its not the people from estates that give them a bad name its outsiders. Theres good and bad everywhere it just seems that where estates are concerned its only the bad what peope comment on. Regardless to say none of the wybourn pubs have been demolished.

as ive already said i do live in shiregreen and really don't think its so bad,

the boarded up houses are like that because again as ive already said sanctuary housing have evicted a lot of people and are really making a effort to deal with nuisence neighbours people are not simply moving out as they dont like the area they have been forced out for not following the terms and conditions in there rental agreement, sanctuary housing have confirmed this to me a few times now after weve had so much involvment from them this last year having the whole house refurbished.

the reason the houses remain boarded up for a while is they are having all the plaster striped out and redone, new bathrooms and new kitchens, new windows and front and rear doors, new fireplaces and central heating and complete new elcetrics throughout and then the kitchen and bathroom decorated with flooring laid, new hardstanding areas to the rear, and driveway and path to the front with new boundary treatments (mainly wooded fencing to rear and metal/brick treatments to the front) all this however takes alot of time and many different workers/skillsman hense propertys boarded up so long.

the reason there is no council waiting list for shiregreen now is nothing to do with the area but the fact that there are no council propertys here any more, as sanctuary bought them all from the council. and there are still at least 5+ years waiting for a property here unlike pitsmoor for example where the property shop list them and they do not get a single bid so end up relisted on a first come first served basis.

and another point made was that having a messy front garden and the statement "Whats wrong with wanting to live in a place that looks nice and feels safe? I'd say that was normal, not stuck up"

well just because some have a messy garden does not mean to say that everyone in that area are dossers or that a messy garden equals a not so nice person, what about the disabled that cant do gardening and dont have the money to pay someone else to do it, there is a social scheme to help this people however they only attend to a garden once a year only!

theres nothing wrong with living somewhere that looks nice and feels safe but the point that alot of people in shiregreen are living on streets that look fine and they feel just as safe there as anywhere not inclusive of shiregreen, negleting to see that view point is what could be deemed as snobish and stuck up

What Carly said!

Reason lots are boarded up too is because theyre being modernised and the tennants are in temporary homes. I have a new nextdoor neighbour every 6-8 weeks, its brilliant :lol: Because the house next to me is one used for temps.

My garden IS a mess and thats only because of money. Its hard to pay full rent/council tax, gas, electric and all the other bills and be able to have £400 left over to dig out the front, and pebble it, put plants in, replace the fence (a section Sanctuary wont replace/repair). So we're currently saving bits each month. I totally understand, there ARE some people who never tend to their gardens - but this isnt the majority to be honest. Alot of people are busy getting the inside of their homes done after modernisation rather than tending to a garden so that passers-by can think its 'nice' or 'pretty'. Its sad that people judge 'a book by its cover', why not check out whats on the inside first before slating it? I dont think anyone who actually lives on Shiregreen has posted to say anything bad - its all those that 'drive through it' - whats that about? Drive through it all you wish, you'll never get a proper feel for the area, the community spirit, the way that neighbours are neighbourly and dont look down their noses at you I love living here :love:

& ginas comments contradict the bus drivers comments. you as bus drivers & taxi drivers only see what you want to see, hear what you want to hear & make judgements. as other posters have said the houses are boarded up in the main for refurbishment & a few where the bad apples have been evicted. so how can that make it bad? you dont hear of much trouble these days compared to how it use to be but like any area theres always the odd bit of trouble. take wisewood & stannington for instance, iv heard of more goings on in them estates than i have shiregreen lately but its not to say they are bad areas aswel. wherever you go there will always be an element of unsavoury characters & goings on, shiregreen just seems to get singled out more than others. i know countless families on there plus some freinds who swear by the area & wouldnt dream of living somewhere like wisewood or stannington cos they have the same feelings towards the areas that you have for shiregreen

I am hoping to move out of Shiregreen asap, just worried no one will buy my house.

Whoever is currently removing trees and replacing kirbs in the area are making a right old mess. The have no pride in their work, they must think its a council estate so it's not worth spending time on doing it right. My drive now looks a right mess!

Does anyone know if they are re-turfing the grass they have dug up on the kirbs or just leaving it for weeds to grow? The latter I presume

I am hoping to move out of Shiregreen asap, just worried no one will buy my house.

Whoever is currently removing trees and replacing kirbs in the area are making a right old mess. The have no pride in their work, they must think its a council estate so it's not worth spending time on doing it right. My drive now looks a right mess!

Does anyone know if they are re-turfing the grass they have dug up on the kirbs or just leaving it for weeds to grow? The latter I presume

its the council doing the kerbs and removing the tree's