Barnsley - good place to live?

I assume by upper they mean houses around Doncaster Road and Kendray hospital. I would not live there. No matter how much they told me the crime rate has dropped.

QUOTE]

I live in this area and in the 6 years Ive lived here have never experienced a problem other than a few rowdy kids and maybe a few late night revellers returning from the pubs.

Ive seen the houses you're posting about and I have to admit they're really nice. They're in the middle of a council estate, and there are a few dodgy houses there, but from what I can see, they're doing much to improve the area.

If I was looking for somewhere to live it wouldnt put me off - good houses at reasonable rents - go for it, I say!!

Ive heard that Barnsley is a great place to live

TBH I'm in my 30s and my time of every weekend up town are behind me now. But the last few time I've been in Sheffield, I get the feeling things are bubbling and its going to kick off and you usually see summat. Must be my age but town doesn't feel safe anymore

It depends where you go, town has places with the small town mentality and others that are much better.

The problem with Barnsley is that there aren't many bars to choose from, and all the idiots gather around the same bars at the same time.

I've lived in Barnsley for a short while now and I'm loving it.

People seem to be very nice and friendly. Haven't been out in the night though.

ive been an high greener all my life, untill 2 months ago when i moved too brampton, and i will say i wont ever look back! even when i lived at sheffield i still did my shopping at barnsley, sheffield town centre has always scared the ***** out of me, full of drunken druggy scroungers, i never have been stopped yet in barnsley by some drunk asking for a fag! i love it here peace and quiet at last!

I'm thinking of moving to Barnsley and I was wondering if anyone from this forum lives there. I've found few interesting houses in Kendray.

Is it a good place to live?

Is it safe? Quiet?

What do you think about people living there?

Any info greatly appreciated!

Barnsley is great since the earthquake that flattened it two or three years ago.

The government spent hundreds of pounds rebuilding the town, 5 houses now have flushing toilets.

The most expensive item damaged in the quake was 'Betty Swollocks' pot 'Bordie Collie' that fell over and smashed during the Quake, I think the replacement value was £5.

I know this thread is a few years old, but I'm thinking of moving to Barnsley, to Greenwood Avenue in Worsbrough. Can you tell me what it is like around that area, and the schools etc. Would appreciate it if anyone still checks this thread. Thanks

I know the Worsborough Common area, it's generally ok, as with all towns, a few ruin some areas and misrepresent the majority?

Someone above had a semi-accurate point about 'Barnsley people not being friendly........if you're black or Asian'- the local neo-nazis are out in town every week with a little stall outside Boots, but many Barnsley people are friendly.

I know this thread is a few years old, but I'm thinking of moving to Barnsley, to Greenwood Avenue in Worsbrough. Can you tell me what it is like around that area, and the schools etc. Would appreciate it if anyone still checks this thread. Thanks

Sorry to disappoint you but that bit of Barnsley - Kendray/Worsborough - has a very bad reputation - drugs, crime, etc. I assume it's a council house or former council house. The local secondary is an academy as in its former life it was one of the 3 worst secondaries in Barnsley, along with Priory and Willowgarth but it now seems to be doing a lot better, in the top 3 or 4 in Barnsley (not saying much). If you can find a better place in Barnsley I would. In Sheffield it would equate to Arbourthorne or somewhere similar. I know there's always someone who'll defend anywhere but you can get better.

I know the Worsborough Common area, it's generally ok, as with all towns, a few ruin some areas and misrepresent the majority?

Someone above had a semi-accurate point about 'Barnsley people not being friendly........if you're black or Asian'- the local neo-nazis are out in town every week with a little stall outside Boots, but many Barnsley people are friendly.

I don't think it's Worsborough Common, but Worsborough. There are 5 Worsboroughs, all separate - Worsborough, W Village, W Dale, W Common and W Bridge and this is the Worsborough bit. The Common is a definite no no. Village is lovely.