Why have a dog chipped ??when police say its "not " proof of ownership

my dog was taken from my friends house when she was admitted to hospital ,after 5 weeks of walking the streets looking for her i found her in kirkby in ashfield .the police went to the address and scanned her chip ..all is in my name but they will not return her to me saying a chip is not proof of ownership !!! can some 1 explain why we have our dogs chipped then??

so what's the point?? That's really bad :( I hope you eventually get your dog back Cyb

Shocked that the chip isn't proof. Trying to think what will be. Maybe your Vet can help by identifying the dog as yours (especially if you have had her/him since a pup). What about a statement from your friend confirming how the dog was stolen. Statemnets from you family and friends stating that the dog is yours and you have never sold it. Photographs of the dog. Do you have any papers, insurance etc (if your pet insurance has legal cover may help). Did you take any steps to find the dog i.e contacting dog lost the warden etc all this should be accepted as proof. A real long short but if its a pedigree can you get in touch with the breeder to help.

Failing all this can you steal the dog back :-) (only joking!!)

When we registered with Petlog we got a leaflet saying that they could take and store a DNA sample as if the dog was stolen chip would not be enough as proof of ownership! We were shocked! It makes you wonder what on earth you are paying for!

i have tried everything possible to get her back but have been threatened by the womans boyfriend who stole her that if he sees me in kirkby in ashfield again he will break my legs and kill the dog ,,i told the police this but they say its a civil matter so i got a civil solicitor but even tho i have reciept from buying her ,9 statements from various friends that knew my friend from where she was stolen ,who by the way passed away.but the civil solicitor is at her wits end wondering what she can do next .if i take it to court i would have to pay which i cant afford cos i am a disabled pensioner.

these people say they are keeping her cos they want to breed off her!!she is a yorkie with a pedigree..i was going to have her stolen back ..but i was warned i could be done for theft!!!!!!

When we got Molly we did the DNA storage thing, but then the company who operated the scheme folded- I'm not quite sure how they did that with people paying them £100 just to keep their pet's details on a computer and a sample of DNA, but they did.

Until that point I thought microchips were enough to show that you were the animal's owner, but I don't know what proves ownership other than that.

I'm sorry to hear that you're struggling with this and I hope you find a solution soon.

Get the Sheffield Star involved.

i have tried everything possible to get her back but have been threatened by the womans boyfriend who stole her that if he sees me in kirkby in ashfield again he will break my legs and kill the dog ,,i told the police this but they say its a civil matter so i got a civil solicitor but even tho i have reciept from buying her ,9 statements from various friends that knew my friend from where she was stolen ,who by the way passed away.but the civil solicitor is at her wits end wondering what she can do next .if i take it to court i would have to pay which i cant afford cos i am a disabled pensioner.

the threats of violence are not a civil matter.

Go Public, Get the Star, you are a pensioner, use photos, do not let it go, it is beyond belief, steal her back if thats what it takes, can we on this forum do anything??? anybody

This is absolutely disgraceful. And threatening to break your legs is assault, so you should get the police involved.

Ask to speak to the Chief Constable of the officers that dealt with the issue and know one else. tell him your concerns if you still dont get a good responce then tell him your taking it further to the media and to the civil court.Try your MP as well and tell him the police have failed to take action.I would have thought the police should have got some kind of evidence as to ownership from this other person before saying they cant do anything.Wich police station was this that dealt just out of interest.