School grump 2: 4 is too young (especially for boys)

The last day of the school year is Aug 31st and the start of the next is 1st September. My Daughter's birthday is 24th Aug so will be one of the youngest in the year.

My friend planned her son to be born in September to be one of the oldest children. Her son had other plans and came on the 31st Aug! If he had waited just 3 hours, he would have been born on the 1st Sept and be the oldest in his class rather than the youngest.

Hmm 11 months to a teenager is nothing but for a 4 year old its 25% of ther life so far. i think where children are so close to the end/start of school year it should be there parents choice if they start as the youngest or wait a year and start as one of the oldest as long as they still do the set amount of schooling years i cant see how it would hurt anyone, maybe something for the goverment to consider at some point.

I've often thought that there could be a choice of when they start but then it would be difficult to decide where to draw the line for that too. If you let people who are born in August choose then what about the kids born right at the end of July. Their parents would be feeling they had just missed out on choosing.

My son's Birthday is April so he will be somewhere in the middle really. Like your friend Doodle, we planned our daughter so she would be one of the older children and her Birthday is October.

You will be able to choose from next year :)

I believe it depends totally on the child and perhaps its more about suiting the majority whatever that is?

...my daughter started school last september (she was 5 in April) and was more than ready for it. They have had very little homework and from the work they brought home its mostly play based work. She isn't impressed at the idea they have to do proper work next year in Y1.

At their school all the kids start in september but the younger half of the year (after april birthdays) go half days until jan which seems to suit most quite well.

Having said that, DD was at nursery from 5 months, full time from 18 months so it wasn't a huge shift for her, shorter days and a slightly earlier start aside