I have had a lot of work through Thorn Baker. The girls in the Chesterfield office are BRILLIANT!

The majority of people who work in my office were sorced through them.

Brooke Street in Sheffield have legitimate jobs available.

A for Appointments opposite the Harley.

Randstad opposite Fountains and

Addecco- near Lloyds.

I have been unepmloyed twice in the last 2 years and the above mentioned are really good getting you work with short term

temp jobs while you're waiting for something longer term or permanent.

There are lots of Trolley/Hostess jobs on trains going at the Sheffield train station if you fancy that kind of thing, go down to Rail Gourmet, platform 1a and grab an application form, they're desperate for quick starters.

People so often expect to go into an agency, sign up and expect the work to come flooding in. But it just doesn't work that way (or at least it rarely does).

Two hugely important things to consider:

1. Agency work right now is in a major slump and there's not that much work around.

2. If you want work with an agency, just calling, submitting your CV and waiting for them to call is NOT enough. You need to go in, really let them know you're serious about working with them, show your face and make an impression. Keep calling, be polite and persistent. Drop them a line every week, and try and go in and see them, if only for a 2 minutes chat.

Once you've gone onto their 'radar', they'll find you work (when it's available).

An agency is going to give work to its best staff, so you need to be available at any time to sneak in and take that job when it's available, and if you're fresh on the agency's mind, you're more likely to be considered!

It's all about your profile when jobs come up.

Good luck!

I absolutely agree 100% with you. Employers want people who show some personal initiative and try and stand out from the crowd.

People so often expect to go into an agency, sign up and expect the work to come flooding in. But it just doesn't work that way (or at least it rarely does).

Two hugely important things to consider:

1. Agency work right now is in a major slump and there's not that much work around.

2. If you want work with an agency, just calling, submitting your CV and waiting for them to call is NOT enough. You need to go in, really let them know you're serious about working with them, show your face and make an impression. Keep calling, be polite and persistent. Drop them a line every week, and try and go in and see them, if only for a 2 minutes chat.

Once you've gone onto their 'radar', they'll find you work (when it's available).

An agency is going to give work to its best staff, so you need to be available at any time to sneak in and take that job when it's available, and if you're fresh on the agency's mind, you're more likely to be considered!

It's all about your profile when jobs come up.

Good luck!

It really is a full time job looking for a full time job.

you need to sign up at the agency, then ring, visit AND email them at least once a week to let them know you are still looking.

But that doesn't excuse certain agencies from calling you, saying they have seen your CV on line and that they have the perfect job for you and that you'll be working by Monday/ Before the end of the week etc.

You get in quick smart, have your interview, do the competency test, then they tell you that the position was being interviewed for today, and there are no more interview spots available.

That happened to me about 4 times a week for a couple of months while I was looking. In the end I just started telling agencies that rang to not waste my time and tell me straight if they were giving me the standard line.

Thorn Baker in Chesterfield don't tell people porkies. they either have something suitable or they dont.

If they tell you they are not taking registrations it is becasue they wont have anything they can give you that they couldn't give to someone already on their books.

Yes to all this. I have been unemployed for 4 weeks and looking for work for longer than that when I knew my last job was not going to be extended.

Despite selling myself hard to agencies and getting in with one very good one, and calling them every week it's still a story of interviews being put back, etc etc.

I think some agencies are shambolic weasels but many are highly professional.

The horrific truth is I think there is bugger all work out there of almost any description.

Quite fancy that trolley hostess gig though. Ideal piglit post!!