Help needed with two ratties!

Hi,

I was wondering if anyone could give me some advice. I've had my 2 boys coming up to a year now, and I have had a problem with them barbering each other (at least I think that's what it's called). They've always done it a bit, but it has gotten really bad and they both have completely bald patches behind their ears and around that area, one more so than the other from the alpha! They don't seem to be hurting each other, never drawing blood and they don't look distressed, but should this behaviour still be discouraged? Any tips on how I can do this? I don't want to have to separate them cos it's just the two of them...

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Hmm, okay first things first - are you 100% it's them barbering each other? Have you treated them both for mites as a precaution? Are there any scabs around the face area - especially under the chin? Are they in a stimulating environment? Barbering can be caused by stress, things like a small cage, boring diet, lack of stimulation can be factors (I'm not saying that any of these are true ofc - just chucking ideas out for you!).

I'm not that familiar with boy-rats but if it's aggression based then neutering could be helpful.

I'm pretty sure it's barbering, I've seen them doing it to each other, and the patches where the fur is missing look completely healthy, just a bit bald!

They still have the same cage that I first bought for them, I'm looking to get another one because they need more space, at the moment I'm just letting them have free run of my flat during the day so they don't get too bored!

I've been looking online for some good cages but money is non existent for me at the minute so I'm looking end of September before they can get a new one...

I have recently moved house so this flat is a new environment for them, do you think that could be part of it? What other things could I do to keep them stimulated?

I'm pretty sure it's barbering, I've seen them doing it to each other, and the patches where the fur is missing look completely healthy, just a bit bald!

They still have the same cage that I first bought for them, I'm looking to get another one because they need more space, at the moment I'm just letting them have free run of my flat during the day so they don't get too bored!

I've been looking online for some good cages but money is non existent for me at the minute so I'm looking end of September before they can get a new one...

I have recently moved house so this flat is a new environment for them, do you think that could be part of it? What other things could I do to keep them stimulated?

I bet they're loving the run of the flat!! Toys - they don't need to be expensive, you'd be surprised how much joy a rat can get from a box of Tesco value tissues.... the pound shop is also a haven if you use your imagination. Egg boxes can be stuffed with treats. Make them work for their food rather than giving it them in a bowl type thing (like get them to shell seeds/nuts - they are awesome shelling-machines). Um lots of variety in diet (check out http://www.shunamiterats.co.uk/diet.shtml for inspiration). You can get some string or chain from B&Q (again cheap) and hang stuff up for them to get to. Pretty much anything goes really!!

ETA: I don't know if the flat has triggered it, did it start then?

They had been doing it before then, but only slightly, it's only since I moved here the patches have become actually noticeable!

Thanks you've given me some good ideas, I'm off to have a mooch round for some things they might like... Can they eat any kind of nuts or are there any I should avoid? The egg box is a good idea because my do they like chewing things, better cardboard than my furniture!

They had been doing it before then, but only slightly, it's only since I moved here the patches have become actually noticeable!

Thanks you've given me some good ideas, I'm off to have a mooch round for some things they might like... Can they eat any kind of nuts or are there any I should avoid? The egg box is a good idea because my do they like chewing things, better cardboard than my furniture!

Ha, I'm not promising your furniture won't be more tasty - after all, it does belong to them :hihi:

Just everything in moderation is the best way, nuts are good as there's work involved - roasted monkey nuts are good as they can get in with no help. Walnuts and such might need a starter to help them out! Just try them with a nut each once a week or something and see if they enjoy the challenge. Also forget to add - hard boil an egg, remove a tiny big of the shell and pop it down for them (and enjoy cleaning up the mess!!!)

Lol a hard boiled egg is always their treat, it's absolute egg carnage when they've finished! Ones a rex too, he's got curly whiskers and he comes and looks at me at the end with egg stuck all over his face like "what?" :hihi:

They also devoured an entire creme egg one time, I think they may have got confused, I was really worried after because they're not supposed to eat chocolate, but it didn't seem to bother them, I suppose if they can work their way through an entire pair of trousers!

They can be very cheeky but that's why we love them!

Lol a hard boiled egg is always their treat, it's absolute egg carnage when they've finished! Ones a rex too, he's got curly whiskers and he comes and looks at me at the end with egg stuck all over his face like "what?" :hihi:

They also devoured an entire creme egg one time, I think they may have got confused, I was really worried after because they're not supposed to eat chocolate, but it didn't seem to bother them, I suppose if they can work their way through an entire pair of trousers!

They can be very cheeky but that's why we love them!

Bless them!! :hihi: Yes the egg smooshed into face look, always attaractive, especially on a rexxy!! :love:

aww not had any experience with babering so cant help on that score but i have 4 boys who are little monkeys like yours by the sound of things.

try the website thedapperrat for cage enrichment and free range game ideas. my lads love junk to play with. i have bought them toys before but they much prefer a paper shopping bag filled with rubbish with dried insects thrown in for good measure lol. also the ratty cracker mae from a toilet roll tube always goes down a storm

your v brave letting them free range your flat i wouldnt have a house left especially with my younger 2 lol. what size cage are they in atm?

also try the fancy rat forum loads of helpful advice and knowledgable people.

Can anyone suggest a good rat forum?

i always use the one hels has linked above i think its the best. there is ITWOR but it isnt as large a forum so you dont generally get as many replies to questions