Water Hardness in sheffield

Hey i just bought a new dishwasher and need to know how hard the water is in sheffield so as to determine which setting i need and whether to add salt or something? Ive tryed the yorkshire water site but on the water hardness section it says the site is to busy! Please help!

Hi,

Water in Sheffield is soft water. You dont get lime scale or anything like that up here. Its the south that has hard water.

Hope this helps.

You will need salt in your dishwasher whether the water is soft or hard. Even soft water has a hardness albeit very low. The Ion Exchange Resin water softener in yor machine needs salt to regenerate the resin. Obviously you won't be putting salt in as often as you would if the water was hard.

I tested my water recently and it was right in the middle of 'hard and soft' on the scale !

I would recommend using salt in your dishwasher!

As for not getting limescale in Sheffield...I would disagree...it may not be particular bad but you do still get it! I regularly clean my shower head clear of this stuff!!

:)

doesn't the water have Iron in? it takes a while to brew tea compaired to the south.

what brand is it?

there is usually a testing kit in your pack of 'useless plastic bits that you'll never use' :D

If it's a Bosch, I can see what we set ours to for you :thumbsup:

It depends where you are in sheffield. When i lived in nether edge and woodseats i never got any limescale in anything. Since moving to the land of crystal peaks i get a little bit. Although if you live here the water is supplied by severn trent so i suspect its from different supplies. Dosen't make much sense i'm still in yorkshire after all.

Originally posted by becm

doesn't the water have Iron in? it takes a while to brew tea compaired to the south.

The hard water which I think you will have had in the South has among the hardness constituents Calcium Bicarbonate which will affect the tea you brew by making it stronger. The tea loses more Tannin to the brew.

My Mother used to add a pinch of Sodium Bicarbonate to her tea pot and the tea was like ink. The same thing happens with the Calcium Bicarbonate.

Originally posted by Shiesh

I tested my water recently and it was right in the middle of 'hard and soft' on the scale !

I would recommend using salt in your dishwasher!

As for not getting limescale in Sheffield...I would disagree...it may not be particular bad but you do still get it! I regularly clean my shower head clear of this stuff!!

:)

I live at Woodhouse and our water is quite soft. As I said earlier in this thread, even soft water has some hardness. We tend to get an orange coloured deposit on the shower head which we scrub off with a nail brush. It isn't very thick and only wants doing infrequently.

The dishwasher will need the setting on the Salt container setting near to the bottom end of the range.

Originally posted by rachhardy

Hi,

Water in Sheffield is soft water. You dont get lime scale or anything like that up here. Its the south that has hard water.

Hope this helps.

excpt of course most of the east of england which also draws it's supply from limestione aquafers - i think the hard water areas begin somewhere about cdoncaster

Originally posted by Escafeldia

I live at Woodhouse and our water is quite soft. As I said earlier in this thread, even soft water has some hardness. We tend to get an orange coloured deposit on the shower head which we scrub off with a nail brush. It isn't very thick and only wants doing infrequently.

The dishwasher will need the setting on the Salt container setting near to the bottom end of the range.

the orange coloured deposit it unlikely to do with limescale! this is usually bacteria build up and takes a while to form, try sprayin yous showerhead once a week with an antibactarial spray:thumbsup: save you scrubbing :D