...on the other hand is buying a new car too good to be true??

ermm, yes, somehow £200 * 12 worked out at 3200 in my head. Must have been too early in the morning.

Just doing a quick check on Mondeo.

New £12000. 3 years old (same model and trim) £5000.

So yeah, cost £7000 over 3 years.

If you bought it one year old though, £8000, so in the next two years you loose another 3, and probably another 1000 in the year after.

Cost £4000 over 3 years and the car is just nicely driven in for you in 1 year.

Originally posted by Cyclone

Sierras got it. It's just a way to keep you paying forever.

How can you think it would be a good deal to pay nearly 10k over 3 years (£200/month) and then hand the car back and have nothing to show for it. Where else would you consider spending 10k and having nothing to show?

Cyclone is absolutely right.

In my (rueful) experience, car leasing is a total scam - you pay out for your car for 3 years, then hand it back with nothing to show for your money.

As if that's not bad enough - you think that's it - THEN you get a whopping great bill for 'extra mileage'.

Don't touch with a bargepole if you've any sense.

StarSparkle

What about companies such as http://www.nationwidevehiclecontracts.co.uk/vw.html

for example.

£200/month for a brand spanking new Golf. Keep it for 12 months then if you fancy a change get another one.

Seems to good to be true.I am getting sick of pouring money into an old car so why not rent a new one??

Originally posted by Sony

What about companies such as http://www.nationwidevehiclecontracts.co.uk/vw.html

for example.

£200/month for a brand spanking new Golf. Keep it for 12 months then if you fancy a change get another one.

Seems to good to be true.I am getting sick of pouring money into an old car so why not rent a new one??

with a £600 deposit and a 10k annual mileage. Go over that and it will cost you!

Oh and that doesn't include VAT, so it's actuall £234/month for 3 years.

This is no different to an HP agreement except that they take care of the maintenance.

Right Cyclone. So you're better off @ a main dealer.

I know this "nothing to show for it after 3 yrs" is a bit of a pain, but at least you're not in debt, and you've made the most out of the car without worrying about when it'll start going wrong etc...

Still think its worth it really!

Originally posted by Sony

Right Cyclone. So you're better off @ a main dealer.

I know this "nothing to show for it after 3 yrs" is a bit of a pain, but at least you're not in debt, and you've made the most out of the car without worrying about when it'll start going wrong etc...

Still think its worth it really!

given that it would be covered by 3 years warranty anyway and that modern new cars rarely go wrong I don't think the maintenance side is much of a bonus. At least it means the tyres and annual service will be covered for you though, so that cost is spread out.

I wasn't suggesting that a main dealer would be better though.

I'm still firmly in the camp of around 1 year old from an independant garage. Just got to work my way up to it!

Just got my cougar in for service. So that's £120 straight away, then 6 * platinum plugs £46, new tyre (split on inside wall, again) £65, and they were advising to change pads all round and rear disks. I've passed on the brakes as I checked them the other day and think they've got another 5k in them. But that would probably be another £200.

Cars are bloody expensive. Oh and insurance was due from Sept, another £639, at least I'd planned that in though.