Police response to burglary

We were burgled this morning - it's our own fault, my housemate left the door open, and they stole very little - a bag with pretty much nothing in it (a phone, door keys and makeup) and a packet of cigarettes from the kitchen.

I rang up the police at about 2:20, they answered quickly, and sent someone round who got here at 2:50 - 30 minutes. He took a load of details, and also spoke to our neighbours to make them aware. He's arranged for a scenes of crime officer to attend as well to see if there are any fingerprints.

I have to admit, when I rang them, from what people have said of the police response, I was expecting them to give me a crime reference number over the phone, and that would be it. So thankyou very much - I'm not expecting much in the way of resolution, but it's nice to know they've made an effort. I think they get a lot of bad press, when in actual fact, most of the time, they do a good job. :)

We were burgled this morning - it's our own fault
It's not your fault.

It's not your fault.

I agree. Theft is illegal, regardless if you've accidentally made it a bit easier for them.

We were burgled this morning - it's our own fault, my housemate left the door open, and they stole very little - a bag with pretty much nothing in it (a phone, door keys and makeup) and a packet of cigarettes from the kitchen.

I rang up the police at about 2:20, they answered quickly, and sent someone round who got here at 2:50 - 30 minutes. He took a load of details, and also spoke to our neighbours to make them aware. He's arranged for a scenes of crime officer to attend as well to see if there are any fingerprints.

I have to admit, when I rang them, from what people have said of the police response, I was expecting them to give me a crime reference number over the phone, and that would be it. So thankyou very much - I'm not expecting much in the way of resolution, but it's nice to know they've made an effort. I think they get a lot of bad press, when in actual fact, most of the time, they do a good job. :)

I hate it when people say that! You should NOT expect to get burgled under any circumstances.

Well done for confirming what most of us already know about the (usual) performance of South Yorkshire Police :thumbsup:

I'd love to do that, but unfortunately it was Hampshire constabulary

A few of my neighbors were robbed about a week ago, apparently it was quite a traumatic experience for one of them in particular. According to the family the police were outstanding and in fact, they've already caught the guy (even though he fleed to another city). Kudos to you, SY police.

I was most impressed the other day when a neighbouring burgular alarm went off. Within 10 minutes we had 4 police cars and a dog van outside. Fantastic response.

It just shows what can be done when public sector cuts are on the cards. I'll bet at the moment if you were to ring the Town Hall someone would answer the phone.

I'd love to do that, but unfortunately it was Hampshire constabulary

That's apparently usual for burglaries in Portsmouth.

I got burgled a month ago Alex and initially blamed myself after leaving a small window open. Like others have said nobody as the right to enter your house and steal, it's not your fault mate. SYP were fantastic by the way.

I was most impressed the other day when a neighbouring burgular alarm went off. Within 10 minutes we had 4 police cars and a dog van outside. Fantastic response.

It just shows what can be done when public sector cuts are on the cards. I'll bet at the moment if you were to ring the Town Hall someone would answer the phone.

What an exceptional waste of police resources. Did the house belong to a copper?:suspect:

I got burgled a month ago Alex and initially blamed myself after leaving a small window open. Like others have said nobody as the right to enter your house and steal, it's not your fault mate. SYP were fantastic by the way.

Did they catch them????