Do you believe in inequality?

Where does empathy come from?

It's an emergent property of a complex neurological structure. It's part of the system that allows us to predict the behaviour of others and is key to being a social creature.

Consciousness itself is an emergent property. Modelling the outside world in general is a key part of that, and modelling other beings is just a step up from modelling the fall of an apple and intercepting it with your hand. There are generally two accepted levels of consciousness, the second being when you realise that you are conscious and become capable of introspection.

I think you've misunderstood me. You were asking 'where does empathy come from?' and you have strongly implied that you think the answer is your 'soul'. I'm saying no it comes from your brain.

Ah okay. Like I said before though, you and I can only go so far on topics because a lot of my argument comes from what I believe in, of which I cannot provide you with proof. Anyway, as I see it your soul controls your brain and brain damage simply causes a breaker in the circuit.

Do you believe in inequality?:suspect:

I know Cyclone, I haven't once argued for any one topic being evil and have said already that everyone will view things differently. I'm simply arguing for the existence of good and evil.

And I'm showing that it's a subjective measurement and thus with no absolute scale existing it's clear that it's just something we've made up.

Ah okay. Like I said before though, you and I can only go so far on topics because a lot of my argument comes from what I believe in, of which I cannot provide you with proof. Anyway, as I see it your soul controls your brain and brain damage simply causes a breaker in the circuit.

That doesn't make the slightest bit of sense. If you're arguing that God provides the absolute of good and evil then we may as well stop the conversation now.

Maybe we could get back to the topic instead. Although I'd still like the OP to clarify what question she meant to ask.

And I'm showing that it's a subjective measurement and thus with no absolute scale existing it's clear that it's just something we've made up.

So , in your view, murder and rape are fine.:roll:

That doesn't make the slightest bit of sense. If you're arguing that God provides the absolute of good and evil then we may as well stop the conversation now.

Maybe we could get back to the topic instead. Although I'd still like the OP to clarify what question she meant to ask.

What doesn't make sense about it? I wasn't aware I had stumbled off topic... :suspect:

Oh and the OP is a he. ;)

Then why bother having a brain? If the soul controls it why haven't we evolved to do without it?

Then why bother having a brain? If the soul controls it why haven't we evolved to do without it?

Because evolution doesn't exist. :o

Op's a dude, dude!

Because evolution doesn't exist. :o

OK, to rephrase the question then. Why would god even bother giving us a brain? Why not just design us so we have a soul in our head?

I must say that I do not think that rape is evil.