What's your gas bill like?

For the last few months my gas bill has been around £50 pm but has suddenly gone up to 77pm after the last Reading last week.We (up until this summer) had the heating on 6hrs a day and the hot water 2 hrs a day.We have a standard oldish boiler with hot water tank in the loft and live in an old 3bed semi.

Does this seem like a normal bill to you?

Ps my electric has been pretty much £44 pm throughout the year so therefore a combined bill of around 120 pm from 90 pm .

Mine averages out at £150.00 per month :(

For the last few months my gas bill has been around £50 pm but has suddenly gone up to 77pm after the last Reading last week.We (up until this summer) had the heating on 6hrs a day and the hot water 2 hrs a day.We have a standard oldish boiler with hot water tank in the loft and live in an old 3bed semi.

Does this seem like a normal bill to you?

Ps my electric has been pretty much £44 pm throughout the year so therefore a combined bill of around 120 pm from 90 pm .

Will be a lot more n future now that the Tories have increased VAT

Not on utility charges, they carry a 5% rate. The Tories are not in power by the way, we have a coalition government, and before you question the Lib-Dem's effectivness, an electoral reform referendum has just been announced.

Last quarter just gone was £103.35, so £34/month ish.

norks are you running a gas-powered furnace 24/7? ;)

The VAT rate on domestic fuels wasn't 17.5% - It was 5%. Has that risen to 20%?

Before you shed too many tears about the VAT on fuel, think about how the prices of domestic fuels are going to increase.

Millipede Jr and Brown decided to 'outvote' the EU at the Copenhagen conference in December and promised to cut the UK's carbon emissions by 42% - despite being told that the cuts necessary to achieve that goal would have a severely harmful effect on ordinary people.

You can have all the 'green' electricity you want. - But you'll have to pay for it. I wonder what people will be saying when it's 25p per KwH?

No doubt they'll blame it on the tories.

I have just switched to a 'websaver 6' package with British gas....basically a better deal on British Gas web page if you sign up for various things like paperless billing, pay by direct debit etc...this helped me drop from £66 month down to £52 and that includes what I still owe them from a recent house move. Even if you are not with BG the other utility suplliers do much the same, oh and I am in a 1960's 3 bed semi with a baby and a teenager.......you can but query it and ask for a better deal......

Last quarter just gone was £103.35, so £34/month ish.

norks are you running a gas-powered furnace 24/7? ;)

I have no idea whats going on because i have had the boiler checked and everything seems ok and i dont think i use alot of gas either :(

my last bill was £700 for the quarter, added to that is a £100 p/m DD, standing charge thing as well... :(

so count yourselves lucky!

we have a 2 year old Worster Bosch boiler as well, which is meant to be the most energy efficient around!

I am paying £110 per month for gas and electricity. I am presently £215 in credit. I have hardly had my central heating on over the last month.

I input my meter readings once a quarter on-line. I live in a larger than average, 3 bed semi. I am with Scottish Power.

I'd guess, in the current climate, this is about right.

Gas bills are estimated here, with an annual reconciliation. I moved into this house in Aug 2008 and paid an estimated bill until late 2009. When the annual reconciliation was done (30 June 2009) the meter showed that I'd burnt 1648 cu metres of gas (that included gas burnt during construction.) My monthly payment fell from about €116 to €93.

I've just taken the reading for this year's reconciliation and I burnt 1167 cu metres this

year, so it seems that although we had a hard winter, my gas consumption was only 70% of the first year's figure.

biggan said: "we have a 2 year old Worster Bosch boiler as well, which is meant to be the most energy efficient around!"

I'm not familiar with that boiler. Mine is a Junkers Cerasmart (made by the Bosch group.) The boiler is programmed with the insulation characteristics of the house and given the outside air temperature (It has an external sensor on the north side of the house) it calculates what the temperature the circulating water should be to maintain the house at 21'C. - The radiators rarely get hot.

Then again, the insulation characteristics of most British housing are poor. - THe walls of my house are 30cm thick and the bricks have a vertical honeycomb structure. External windowsills do not come into the house - there is an insulation barrier between external and internal sills. All floors (concrete) are insulated from the walls (so they act as thermal storage units.) Windows are timber-framed wide-gap double glazing and the roof insulation is 50 cm thick.

my last bill was £700 for the quarter, added to that is a £100 p/m DD, standing charge thing as well... :(

so count yourselves lucky!

we have a 2 year old Worster Bosch boiler as well, which is meant to be the most energy efficient around!

Do you live in a field?:rolleyes: