Computer infected

No problem, I'm glad it worked.

I'd update Malwarebytes (MBAM) through it's internal updater, as the program can update it's definition database up to 6 times a day and then run another quick scan. Run disk cleanup first to clear out your temp files (or a third party app such as CCleaner)

Open MBAM, click the Update tab and click "Check for updates" and then click the scanner tab and perform a quick scan as before.

You might want to run an alternative online scan too.

http://www.sheffieldforum.co.uk/showpost.php?p=6321964&postcount=17

Hopefully all is good but post back here if you have any further problems.

Didn't need this info myself but love reading how you help kill these nasties, a true internet warrior.:D

Good on ya Waddler8.

Thanks. :D

If I can help people help themselves and save them a few quid by not having to take their comp into a shop, all the better!

Since my last episode Windows Firewall has been switching itself off : this is why, I presume, I am getting infections. MWAV removes them, each time, but it is a bind ??

What do you use as an anti-virus? If you use a "suite" (Mcafee, Norton etc) that includes Firewall, Anti-virus, Anti-spyware etc, all rolled into one, then that will turn off the windows firewall by default as it will use it's own firewall..

What do you use as an anti-virus? If you use a "suite" (Mcafee, Norton etc) that includes Firewall, Anti-virus, Anti-spyware etc, all rolled into one, then that will turn off the windows firewall by default as it will use it's own firewall..

AV "out of date" so I presume something else is turning FW off?

Since my last episode Windows Firewall has been switching itself off : this is why, I presume, I am getting infections. MWAV removes them, each time, but it is a bind ??

I might have read this wrong - Are you still getting infections since Malwarebtes removed AV security? If so, I think I know what may be the problem. Let me know.

What exactly are you using though? The outdated bit won't be helping matters though! :D

If you don't want to pay the subscription cost we can uninstall it and install some free ones.

I might have read this wrong - Are you still getting infections since Malwarebtes removed AV security? If so, I think I know what may be the problem. Let me know.

Yes : I get JAVA appearing : searches bring up what I have not asked for : Firewall switches off even without the comp. being switched off ...

What exactly are you using though? The outdated bit won't be helping matters though! :D

If you don't want to pay the subscription cost we can uninstall it and install some free ones.

I dont think I have any AV protection now since I installed the new comp. Dont mind paying if that will get a better protection.

searches bring up what I have not asked for

Possibly a rootkit and bi-product of some "scareware" infections.

• Download the file TDSSKiller.zip and save it on your desktop
  • Extract the file tdskiller.zip, it will create a folder named tdsskiller on your desktop.
  • Next double-click the tdsskiller Folder on your desktop.
  • Double click tdsskiller.exe to run the tool.
  • If malicious services or files have been detected, the utility will prompt to reboot the PC in order to complete the disinfection procedure. Please reboot when prompted.
  • A log will be created on your root (usually C:) drive. The log is like UtilityName.Version_Date_Time_log.txt.
    for example, C:\TDSSKiller.2.3.0.0_21.05.2010_14.32.29_log.txt.
  • Post the contents in your next reply