Feeding Dilemma - HELP

Hey all,

Im having a dilemma with feeding and i dont know what to do. Ive been Breast feeding my 2nd child for 3 weeks now (i could not feed my 1st as he sjust couldnt get the hang of latching, i was bleeding and sore and he wasnt gaining weight) So breast feeding my 2nd was something i really wanted to try again.

I have been happy with the way she has been feeding, she has a perfect latch but its still really sore, I have extremely sensitive nipples so when she first sucks im in agony but it does settle after a few suckles and i can feed fine.

However she has been messing on the right breast and has been coming on and off and has made a small bit of skin come away and left like a little hole thats absolute agony when she feeds. I dont know how to enable the skin to repair as i still have to feed. Plus being only 3 weeks into feeding its not advised to express yet.

Im debating whether to give up on the feeding altogether. I had an awful pregnancy and then nearly died in labour and now experiencing such problems with feeding im wanting my body back now. But then feel selfish. im just in limbo land at the moment with whats best.

I had PND really bad with my 1st nad want to avoid it at all costs again. So far so good, im loving having 2 children, i guess im just scared that the more i struggle with BF the more likely i am to go down the PND route?

Any advice would be great xxx

Could you express by hand, allowing the skin to heal, but still keeping the supply going?

I'd suggest you contact your local breast feeding counsellor/support group, the health visitor should be able to give you the details :)

Hi you can get nipple guards that will give you a breather from the pain and time to heal. You can also try expressing into a bottle or cup, even if it is just for one feed to give you a break.

I know some people say if you are feeding right it shouldn't hurt but everyone is different. I fed all three of my children (still feeding my youngest) and it hurt in the first few months with all of them. To the point I would be in tears.

Make sure you are getting most of the brown part around the nipple in your babies mouth and keep going, your doing fine.

If you feel you need more help you midwife should be able to tell you where your nearest group of peer supporters is. They are women who have all breastfeeding experience but have also been trained to help other mums.

As waxonwaxoff says - you can get guards, boots sell their own make, avent do them.. mothercare sell them.. Theyre like a bottle teat but shaped to fit your breast and over your nipple sort of thing. My sister used them and swore by them. Also try to get some healing cream, again boots/mothercare. I know alot of people swear by lansinoh (sp?), I tried and failed at BF. But I soo wish I knew what I know now!

Go to see the HV or midwife, and they will give you details of your local BF support group x

Oh, and if you feel like PND is coming to see you again, please get help asap - please dont put it off, thinking it will go away. I did just this and 2 years down the line, ive got severe depression and struggling to cope with everyday tasks such as hoovering/going to the shops. It isnt nice, and you probably know all this but I feel that I should just say :)

Good luck and I really hope PND doesnt come and bite you in the backend again xxx

I feel your pain, I really struggled for the first 4 to 6 weeks of feeding my little girl but it will get easier! Get yourself some lansinoh lanolin nipple cream, mothercare sell it it's arounf £9 but will last forever and can be used on dry skin, chapped lips and allsorts!

Try contacting la leche league or the NCT support workers, there should also be breastfeeding support available at your local children centre or via your health visitor.

Good luck with it all, it will get easier!

I would also really recommend Lansinoh - its not cheap but works very quickly and you don't need to remove it to breastfeed. In the meantime whilst it heals use the Avent silicone nipple shields. I promise you it will get easier - Lansinoh will work within a couple of days and if you are sure you have the correct latch - most of the brown areola below the nipple in the mouth -then it will improve. Make sure your babies nose lines up with the nipple before you latch on and the babies chin rests against the breast.

It does take upto 4-6 weeks to get it completely established so don't be too disheartened.

Lansinoh is available to buy but, as other's have said, it's expensive - however, you can can get it on prescription from your GP and therefore FREE with your maternity exemtion certificate. :) It really is the best for sore nipples (and good nappy rash too, but won't be prescribed for this).

Hang on in there, it really will get better.

Hey all.

I have Lansinoh cream and have done since day she was born as i had this when i experienced probs with my 1st. Its the remembering to put it on thats the problem!!!

My nipples arnt cracked the right just has a lump chewed out of it!! Its not pleasant lol. Ive been in touch with my HV and she is bringing me an electric pump so that i can express from the right untill the nipple heals. So fingers crossed i can sort it and continue to feed my LO

Gina2007 - im so sorry you have struggled for 2 years, its a terrible thing to have to cope with. I got PND due to struggling to feed, i hated to see my little boy with a bottle and felt like a complete faliure. I suffered in silence and its not untill now when i look back that i see how ill i was. I cant remember much of my sons first few months because i was just fighting through the days and not enjoying him. I was new to the area and hadnt made any friends here yet so it was a very lonely and isolating time. However as the months passed i got involved with Netmums. There is alot of support on there and lots of new mums in that situation. It was so lovely to know i wasnt alone.

From there i began to organise a regular meet up through the netmums website and we met every tuesay for almost 2 years (i had to put the group on hold a couple of months ago due to bad end of preg and finding it too much, but it will be back soon) its been a great success and has helped me imensly.

If you want to chat more and share experience a little less openly then drop me a PM :)

Edited by cosywolf
Advertising other sites

Do what you feel is best for both of you.

I hate it when I see that being unable to breastfeed in the past has led to horrendous guilt and depression. It is so unnecessary, and something the rabid side of the pro-breastfeeding lobby tend to overlook in their well-meaning zeal.

I breastfed my first, but couldn't breastfeed my second - he failed to thrive on it, as your first one did. It took me ages to come to terms with the (totally unnecessary!) guilt I felt about it, and I wish i could stop others suffering that horrible feeling that they're doing wrong when they're actually doing what is best for their baby in their circumstances.

If the advice given you here helps you to continue breastfeeding, and it works out for you and baby, fantastic. I sincerely hope that's the case.

BUT if it doesn't, and you find you can't continue - be it because baby isn't thriving or because you simply can't cope mentally or physically (your baby's well-being relies on yours, remember) then please don't torture yourself about it. I know it's so much easier said than done, but for Baby's sake, let go of the guilt and get on with enjoying baby.

Best of luck! xx

I too had the searing pain at the start of feeding, and have been bitten repeatedly to the point where I've wondered if I'm doing the right thing

I also had a problem with a strained wrist, so began feeding lying on my side on the bed, with the Strixlet looking like a baby seal, free to find her own position - which coincidentally helped alot with the wriggling and chewing problem

I tried the cream too, but Strixlet's face came out in a rash, which cleared up immediately I stopped using it. In the 80's it was the thing to insist on lanolin free products as so many kids were allergic to it

I'll echo Cozy too. I had a health visitor trying to make me bottle feed (don't ask :rolleyes: ), but I've had some very useful info from the breastfeeding support councellor. Make your own decisions about what suits your baby and you, and don't feel pressured by the latest NHS/government fads ;)

If it's any consolation, some of the injuries I suffered cleared up in a couple of days. Your body is on overdrive for healing at the moment :thumbsup:

Would definately access any help you can get. I had major problems feeding my first which started to impact on our attachment (dreading him waking etc cos feeding hurt so much). though breast feeding is obviously important bonding with baby and you being happy is more so. if you need to introduce some bottles/try expressing to give yourself a breather even if that results in end of feeding that is better than you getting PND or affecting relationship with baby. Hope things get easier.