Dogs and toads?

my dog just managed to bite a toad whilst we were outside for his nightly trip before bedtime and i'm really worried that they're poisonous!

ive looked on the internet and supposedly most british toads just have a foul tasting poison that will stick to their gums, so ive rinsed his mouth out well and wiped his gums and teeth down with a cloth.

he seems fine in himself, salivating a little but not acting erraticly or foaming or anything?

just wondered if anyone had had any experience of this in the past? I'll keep my eye on him anyway and fingers crossed he's learnt his lesson and wont do it again!:confused:

my dog just managed to bite a toad whilst we were outside for his nightly trip before bedtime and i'm really worried that they're poisonous!

ive looked on the internet and supposedly most british toads just have a foul tasting poison that will stick to their gums, so ive rinsed his mouth out well and wiped his gums and teeth down with a cloth.

he seems fine in himself, salivating a little but not acting erraticly or foaming or anything?

just wondered if anyone had had any experience of this in the past? I'll keep my eye on him anyway and fingers crossed he's learnt his lesson and wont do it again!:confused:

:hihi: oh yes ours used to try and play with them sprayed him many times in mouth never had any problems through it.And no he never learnt.

well, he's made it through the night with no ill effects! =] ill keep my beady eyes on him in the future though!

What happened to the poor toad? I wonder if that made it through the night? :(

im not sure, it did hop off though after it happened.. im not sure it he actually bit it or just licked it, i just didnt see that one before he did so didnt have the chance to move it =[

i wouldnt worry too much tavie. diamond has bitten a rat and a bird before and i panicked thinking she would pick up all kinds of diseases but she was fine and i think well cats pick up things all the time and you never know about it and they are fine? she also has a liking for bees this summer stupid dog. hope he is ok

My Jack became ill suddenly a few years ago, seriously ill that he had to be admitted to the vets and on a drip.

We thought he had been poisoned whilst he has been running about however when the local vet saw him he said straight away he informed me he had licked a toad. In fact he went to tell me how he see's a couple of dogs a week with it.

I was so scared though he was losing blood out of both ends :gag: and was so so ill bless him. However when they worked out what it was and gave him some drugs within 2 hours he was back to his old self. So much so i had to collect him because he kept ripping his drip out.

The shame of him being asked to leave the vets i was so ashamed lol

my mate used to lick toads bellies back in the 70,s/ he,s alright sortov...

I think toads taste really bad to dogs too. We have tons of frogs and toads in the garden as we have a pond, My dog sniffs them but leaves them well alone :hihi: I never knew they were posionous :shocked: , I guess he has had a taste in the past and thats why he leaves them to it :hihi:

As far as im aware i dont think the english frog or toad is too harmfull towards most animals other than the nasty taist from its defence spray.It may make it a little sick and foam from mouth but should be ok.Tea spoon of apple cider vinigar in water or food is ideal to attac toxics.

thanks for allthe replies guys =] he's right as rain and hasnt learnt his lesson because he tried to go after another one last night! thanks again!!

old topic found after googling ..

my two jrt was playing with what I think was a frog or toad in the garden last night .

saved frog/toad and put it in my pond .

but when we came in side notice both dogs was holding their left eyes shut and squinting along with mad rubbing their eyes on the rug and sofa ..

washed the eyes out and wiped with wet cloth .. they both seem fine the next morning .

had no idea frogs/toads could spray dogs lol ..

more info i found

Toad toxicity. There are two species of toad native to Britain, the Common toad and the Natterjack toad. The Common toad is widespread, whilst the Natterjack toad is a protected species found in East Anglia and the North West of England. Exposure to toads occurs between June and August when they are spawning, toads being most active around dawn and dusk. Most toad-related incidents occur in the evening when cats or dogs lick or eat them. This can lead to signs including hypersalivation (dribbling), frothing, foaming, oral pain, vomiting, wobbliness, shaking, an increase in body temperature and collapse. In severe cases convulsions can occur. You can thoroughly rinse your dog’s mouth out (don’t let them swallow the water) then contact your vet for further advice.

Edited by doom bringer