City Centre Ambassadors/Security are Unhelpful

City Centre Security/Ambassadors?  

68 members have voted

1. 1. City Centre Security/Ambassadors?

• DISGRACEFUL
    • HELPFUL

i have never seen them doing anything constructive What would you call constructive?

We have cctv in all the relivent places in the city centre and a high number of police officers. Do you think CCTV would pick-up someone in a very busy Peace Gardens with a felt-tip pen ruining the stonework? I would imagine this wouldn't be high on a list of Police priorities.

I think this is more to do with the city centre drinking law that was forced upon everyone. Who do you think 'polices and reports' this?

and also the fly posting law.. Which law and who removes the flyposters....police perhaps?

They get paid for shopping for Xmas presents and buying stuff from Sainsbury's and discussing which shop toilet is the best to go in.

I have lived in Sheffield city centre for 15 years and born here 38yrs ago and feel no safer having them around. Also i have never seen them doing anything constructive or for that matter anything that would be a benefit to a sheffield resident or tourist. With the financial sitiation as it is do we need them at all and also the cost's including the out of hours security company must be astronomical. We have cctv in all the relivent places in the city centre and a high number of police officers. We need to remember that we are paying for these services, "are they worth the money". I also dont think they are the reason the city centre has improved, I think this is more to do with the city centre drinking law that was forces upon everyone, including the public houses and also the fly posting law. As for tourist's, who in there right mind wants to visit a half built, unfinished city.

I wholly support the city centre alcohol exclusion zone.

I know a good few of the city centre ambassadors and they are by and large a good bunch. The problem is they have the same expectations that many on here have - only the police can deal with criminals.

I've seen and indeed been low paid people working for retail outlets physically tackling violent criminals hundreds of times. People not walking about with the trappings of authority get stuck in every day in our city. So having people walking round in uniform who as policy refuse to get to get stuck in is a bit of a joke.

If you were being attacked then would you expect the person in the uniform to assist you or the checkout supervisor at Wilkinsons?

I'd expect the former but in reality the latter is more likely.

The ambassadors need to get stuck in more, otherwise we have a situation where Sheffield citizens in need of help look to those who they believe should be their lifejacket in time of need and focus on that and it turns out to be punctured.

They always seem to be stood in either their hut by the town hall or in the winter gardens. There always seems to be loads of them there too, surely 3 or 4 would be enough, if we really do need them. My preference would be to get shut and employ a proper police man/ women to patrol the town centre who can arrest trouble causes.