City Centre Ambassadors/Security are Unhelpful

City Centre Security/Ambassadors?  

68 members have voted

1. 1. City Centre Security/Ambassadors?

• DISGRACEFUL
    • HELPFUL

You people either have very short memories or didn’t experience town before these wardens/ambassadors.

As an oldie, I can anyone remember what the Peace Gardens - just to pluck one example out of thin air - was like before these, as they have been brandished, ‘lollipop’ men arrived? I’ve worked in town now for many a year and I can certainly remember drunks, tramps, and beggars everywhere, not to mention flyposters/graffiti on Fargate and Pinstone Street. What’s happened to these unpleasant, not nice to see issues? Perhaps they’ve just magically disappeared....or perhaps it’s the police who are conscientious enough to report them and sort them out.

It would be disastrous if the town centre went back to how it used to be.

You people either have very short memories or didn’t experience town before these wardens/ambassadors.

As an oldie, I can anyone remember what the Peace Gardens - just to pluck one example out of thin air - was like before these, as they have been brandished, ‘lollipop’ men arrived? I’ve worked in town now for many a year and I can certainly remember drunks, tramps, and beggars everywhere, not to mention flyposters/graffiti on Fargate and Pinstone Street. What’s happened to these unpleasant, not nice to see issues? Perhaps they’ve just magically disappeared....or perhaps it’s the police who are conscientious enough to report them and sort them out.

I would think the change has more to do with CCTV advancement. And in addition, peoples attitudes towards reporting such crimes!

Well said Goodlad, Some people do have short memories, it was a very unpleasant experience walking through the Peace Gardens drunks asleep on seating, flashers you name it. Remove the Ambassadors and it would be like that again in a flash.

Regarding them standing about talking, I thought that would be part of the job, to know the people you encounter, maybe to have a brew or a bite with them, in other countries Police use cafes and restaurants for thier breaks and dont isolate themselves in the Police canteen as ours seem to.

Keep up the good work Ambassadors, as yout title says you are excellent representatives of our city.

Well said Goodlad, Some people do have short memories, it was a very unpleasant experience walking through the Peace Gardens drunks asleep on seating, flashers you name it. Remove the Ambassadors and it would be like that again in a flash.

This is Exactly what the op says the ambassador DIDNT do, he stood there laughing as a gang of yobs caused trouble and upset people on devonshire green!!!!!

oh and by the way the drunks are still around, they just sleep on the benches and cathedral grass on church street

I spoke to one of the Night Time Ambassadors last night and raised the fact that I had seen drunks and other undesireables near the Cathedral, It appears that they do not patrol the whole City centre (at night0 but are based around the Town and City halls. The council should extend thier remit to patrol other areas as well.

This is Exactly what the op says the ambassador DIDNT do, he stood there laughing as a gang of yobs caused trouble and upset people on devonshire green!!!!!

oh and by the way the drunks are still around, they just sleep on the benches and cathedral grass on church street

CCTV is only as good as the human response it elicits. As the Ambassadors presumably react to the information from the CCTV "watchers" You emphasise my point.

I would think the change has more to do with CCTV advancement. And in addition, peoples attitudes towards reporting such crimes!

I spoke to one of the Night Time Ambassadors last night and raised the fact that I had seen drunks and other undesireables near the Cathedral, It appears that they do not patrol the whole City centre (at night0 but are based around the Town and City halls. The council should extend thier remit to patrol other areas as well.

true the city center runs from moor bottom to castle market and thats where these people should working, though saying that i saw a couple of them down the moor a few weeks back, i think they'd just had a jacket potato for dinner though, they would be better used to move on all the canvassers on the fargate everyday, they would get my vote of approval 100% if they did that heh

Just to let some of you know the peace gardens and other sites around the city centre are manned by the ambassadors in the day time and a subcontracted security firm in the nights. These security teams work in small numbers usually four untill 4 am.

Those guys really have a lot of crap to contend with. They work alongside Police, p.c.s.o and c.c.t.v as well as ambassadors. They get paid 7 quid odd per hour and do a sterlin job. They are the guys that look like traffic wardens.

They really do go out of there way to help anyone, its a shame more people dont have the integrity and character that these guys do.

Edited by Caitlin09

I think the Ambassadors are seriously under-rated. They do what the local bobby used to do (apart from the arresting side and that's not their fault).

The deal with the drinks and druggies causing problems on the street, they help lost people (meaning they don't get led away and robbed or worse by dodgy people on the street), they are out in all weather (conditions where most of us are glad off walls and heating).

If you don't like them, don't respect them it's because you've gone out of your way to have a problem with them. You wouldn't catch me taking the crap they have to for the **** poor pay they get

Police Constable - 30k

PCSO's average wage - 19.5k

Ambassadors - 14k

Ambassadors are cheap and cheerful and do a job - they have a job scope and they follow it as do the PCSOs (mini policeman) that you seem sotaken with, are you one? Bet they couldn't tell you what time the last train to Barnsley was.

Horses for courses spring to mind.

Ambassadors earn a lot more than 14k ..and before you ask how i know ..i work with a guy who was an ambassador for 5 yrs..also pcos earn more than19.5k as well..

I work in the city centre and support the work of the ambassadors- it feels much safer and the "new" public places. eg Barkers Pool, Peace Gardens etc still look like new without graffiti.

They are an easy target for cuts but this should be resisted !

I have lived in Sheffield city centre for 15 years and born here 38yrs ago and feel no safer having them around. Also i have never seen them doing anything constructive or for that matter anything that would be a benefit to a sheffield resident or tourist. With the financial sitiation as it is do we need them at all and also the cost's including the out of hours security company must be astronomical. We have cctv in all the relivent places in the city centre and a high number of police officers. We need to remember that we are paying for these services, "are they worth the money". I also dont think they are the reason the city centre has improved, I think this is more to do with the city centre drinking law that was forces upon everyone, including the public houses and also the fly posting law. As for tourist's, who in there right mind wants to visit a half built, unfinished city.

Edited by sheffcitylad