Rother Valley, nature reclaims industry! More of the same please.

Nope.

We live close to Rv - we watched the coking ovens been demolished to start the work on it actually.

I walk to it 2 or 3 times a week - on a weekday or early @ weekends. Otherwise it's Full of cyclists or pimped out chav cars, followed closely by kids out of control and people who don't realise how annoying loose dogs controlled by a whiste really are.

Wait 'til Autumn and peace will have returned.

How dare these sort of folk enter into a country park! perhaps the entry fee should be higher?. This would sort out the wheat from the chavs!

If the Autumn entry fee were even higher still, you would enjoy your free peaceful walk even more!

Problem is, the park would soon be underfunded and eventually close. :(

That sounds like it was good fun, and a great incentive to get out doors and see what is around. Do you still have any of the lists? I would love to see them if you have! :)

I've had a root round but can't find them. :(

Up until recently I had a GB list and a life list but it got to be just too much effort to maintain them, especially as they've started to change scientific names with greater regularity.

:hihi::hihi::hihi::hihi:.

Toilets were miles away.

:hihi::hihi: good answer, I like a sense of humour. :thumbsup:

I've had a root round but can't find them. :(

Up until recently I had a GB list and a life list but it got to be just too much effort to maintain them, especially as they've started to change scientific names with greater regularity.

A hundred species is really good going. After your post yesterday I did a mental tot-up of the species I have seen over the past month. My memory got a bit fudged, as I was at the South West coast for one week and obviously the Manx Shearwaters and Gannets are from that week!

I have managed to retrieve 60 species (Sheffield and surrounding area) from the old memory banks. The thing that puzzles me is that a lot of the species that I have seen seemed to be quite rare when I was more avid in my younger days. The more common ones back in the day seem to be less common now! Where are all the Songies, Corn Buntings and Yellowhammers!?

A hundred species is really good going. After your post yesterday I did a mental tot-up of the species I have seen over the past month. My memory got a bit fudged, as I was at the South West coast for one week and obviously the Manx Shearwaters and Gannets are from that week!

I have managed to retrieve 60 species (Sheffield and surrounding area) from the old memory banks. The thing that puzzles me is that a lot of the species that I have seen seemed to be quite rare when I was more avid in my younger days. The more common ones back in the day seem to be less common now! Where are all the Songies, Corn Buntings and Yellowhammers!?

I've never seen a corn bunting this side of the Pennines. RVCP is usually a certainty for Yellowhammer, as is Wharncliffe.

There used to be yellow wagtails and little ringed plover at RVCP but I've seen neither in about ten years. Likewise Wyming Brook used to be THE place to see both flycatchers at the same time but I've not seen them for a few years which is really sad.

I've never seen a corn bunting this side of the Pennines. RVCP is usually a certainty for Yellowhammer, as is Wharncliffe.

There used to be yellow wagtails and little ringed plover at RVCP but I've seen neither in about ten years. Likewise Wyming Brook used to be THE place to see both flycatchers at the same time but I've not seen them for a few years which is really sad.

Corn buntings were as common as muck around Ulley about twenty years ago, as were grey and French partridges, not now though. Abundance of both flycatchers around Dore and Totley Brook in the same period, but it's the same story for them now!

As I said earlier, I was down in Cornwall earlier in the month. Trevose Head nr Padstow to be precise. Always been a stronghold for corn buntings, but now is fenced off in most of the area to help protect this and another rare species, the Skylark!

As a child in Beighton we used to see loads of skylarks above the fields, we were told they nested on the ground but I can never remember finding a nest.

We never seem to see skylarks nowadays.

I take it you never saw it before the opencasting..? It used to be called Bedgrave and was quite a nice natrual meadows...

I didn't, or maybe I did, but didn't realise I had!

Looks pretty good now though. :)

I used to play there as a kid, catching sticklebacks in the many pools as the land was very swampy.Someone lived in what is the visitors cente offices but not sure who.

I like Rother Valley and am pleased that some of the plans I have heard to build a hotel etc have not come to fruition.

But ts on its way....and more besides clicky

As a child in Beighton we used to see loads of skylarks above the fields, we were told they nested on the ground but I can never remember finding a nest.

We never seem to see skylarks nowadays.

Your eyes are open as a child. As you get older you get more and more wrapped up in work and the daily drudge. Open your eyes again, and take in what is around you. The Skylarks are still here! ;)

But ts on its way....and more besides clicky

They have got to be kidding right!?

Is there not enough land around that they are forced to use a now well established country park??

How about levelling the troubled slums of our city and building it there? Two birds with one stone! :mad:

Catcliffe open cast would be nice if they greened it up a bit. Realign the road to avoid the industrial park and its roundabouts, put some trees.