Rother Valley, nature reclaims industry! More of the same please.

I took my bike to Rother Valley this morning and was blown away by the beauty of the place.

The last time I visited must have been around 85/86. It was when I took PE as an extra option while at King Ecgbert's. If my memory serves me right, it had only just opened, and was a cold, bleak place to learn watersports.

It is now a thriving attraction with mature trees and an abundance of wildlife. Not bad for a once open cast mining eyesore!

Perhaps this sort of scheme should be employed in some of the other eyesores in and around our city. Attercliffe, Tinsley, Darnall for example, may benefit from the removal of dissused industrial buildings to allow nature to play its part in a greener more pleasant environment for future generations to enjoy.

I have noticed that a start has been made on the river Don. This once polluted dumping ground, is now clean enough to allow Greyling to breed, and I myself have seen Kingfishers feeding there.

What say you guys? :)

Shush.

I discovered RVCP after seeing how many bird sightings from there were reported by the Sheff Bird Study Group.

I've seen Gadwall, Smew, Red Necked Grebe, Kingfisher,Yellow Wagtail.......There used to be a Long Eared Owl nest site, now they have bitterns!

It's one of the best places in Britain for birds.

So don't tell anyone! :)

Shush.

I discovered RVCP after seeing how many bird sightings from there were reported by the Sheff Bird Study Group.

I've seen Gadwall, Smew, Red Necked Grebe, Kingfisher,Yellow Wagtail.......There used to be a Long Eared Owl nest site, now they have bitterns!

Damn. Am going to have to get the binards out and have a wander off the beaten track. I don't live far away. I'm trying to get Bloom Junior interested in wildlife but it id doesn't come on pixel flavour, he isn't interested. I used to go to Wath Ings Mecca many years ago to get my fix. Is it still there?

Shush.

My lips are sealed.

No need to worry taxman, have you seen the promo videos for RVCP? Take a look at this

I had to giggle! I think your secret is safe. Why do we insist on making Sheffield look so naff to the outside world? :hihi::mad:

Did you see all the Scouts camping? It was the annual Splashdown - my eldest goes every year :)

And yes, it is lovely now everything has grown :)

Damn. Am going to have to get the binards out and have a wander off the beaten track. I don't live far away. I'm trying to get Bloom Junior interested in wildlife but it id doesn't come on pixel flavour, he isn't interested. I used to go to Wath Ings Mecca many years ago to get my fix. Is it still there?

Hi Bloomdido. It is still there, but now comes under the area called Old Moor Wetland Centre.

Did you see all the Scouts camping? It was the annual Splashdown - my eldest goes every year :)

And yes, it is lovely now everything has grown :)

Yes I did. It seemed very lively, and what a great place to camp!

There were a group of mini-hovercrafter's setting up on the small offshot lake as i rode off (about 8.30am).Was that anything to do with the Scouts?

Yes I did. It seemed very lively, and what a great place to camp!

There were a group of mini-hovercrafter's setting up on the small offshot lake as i rode off (about 8.30am).Was that anything to do with the Scouts?

Probably not if it was on the smaller lake. It is a lovely place to camp, it almost makes me want to try it :P

Shush.

Saw a Kingfisher on the Rother at RVCP! Saw another on the Rother at Orgreave lakes, along with a group of 12 Gadwall including young on the small lake. I headed this way because I had seen a report of a Hobby chasing Swifts on SBSG. Didn't see it though, unlike you did near Blackburn Meadows! Lucky devil! ;)

Made me wonder how good the area from Meadowhall up to and including Burngreave could look in several years time, if it were cleared and turned into a similar kind of park.

Me and my housemate used to have a competition to see who could get to 100 bird species first, in Sheffield, in a calendar year.

I know RVCP isn't strictly Sheffield but there and Rivelin/Redmires were the places that could usually guarantee getting to the 100 by June.

Me and my housemate used to have a competition to see who could get to 100 bird species first, in Sheffield, in a calendar year.

I know RVCP isn't strictly Sheffield but there and Rivelin/Redmires were the places that could usually guarantee getting to the 100 by June.

That sounds like it was good fun, and a great incentive to get out doors and see what is around. Do you still have any of the lists? I would love to see them if you have! :)