Foxes in Sheffield

i took my sister for early airport train this morning 3.30am saw 3 foxes one near grimesthorpe and 2 in burngreave wach out anyone leaving doors open ifyou have kids

If we were trendy Londoners who regularly fed foxes to attract some "nature" to our gardens and left our kids to sleep in an open extension many yards from where we slept then we should perhaps be worried but fortunately most of us are not.

Didn't realise foxes caught feral pigeons - have they learned to use guns now?

Dumb post of the night.

Foxes often take birds on the ground, they are also partial to fish, they can stay quiet and still for ages and strike in a split second. They can take very young deer fawns and lambs, but usually go for easier prey.

and the rest of the ilk.

I think it's the lack of sympathy/empathy whatever from you types that gets me. Like random feral vermin deserves more consideration than people's pets do. If you'd ever been in a henhouse after a fox had dug its way in you might think different.

Right back at ya :loopy::loopy::loopy:

one simple answer, protect your animals right the first time.......

We have seen various members of our local Fox family sitting watching our Rabbits in their hutch and run during the early hours... its natural food for the Foxes but knowing this, i built the Hutch to be Fox proof so our Rabbits are as safe as houses.

Fox proofing a Rabbit hutch is quite easy and cheap to do.

This is ridiculous. Its not like the fox knows that its a pet rabbit and that is immoral to eat it. Its a fox! All its thinking is that its a (relatively) easy meal for once. You know, like getting takeout. :loopy:

I mean, I'm not saying its a good thing, that foxes kill pets, just that you can't blame them for being foxes.

Edited by opendestiny

This is ridiculous. Its not like the fox knows that its a pet rabbit and that is immoral to eat it. Its a fox! All its thinking is that its a (relatively) easy meal for once. You know, like getting takeout. :loopy:

I mean, I'm not saying its a good thing, that foxes kill pets, just that you can't blame them for being foxes.

Have you not read the post correctly or are you just angling for a row over nothing?

Perhaps you should re-read my post. :rolleyes:

I stated that Rabbits are natural food for Foxes and i implied that Mr Fox will have fluffy pet bunny for din dins given the chance, so 'knowing this' (bearing this in mind) I built our Rabbit Hutch to be Fox proof. :)

My point was to a previous poster that said Foxes were nasty and broke in her hutch and ate her pet Bunny.

Its not the Foxes fault... Foxy is just eating for survival and its up to the owners of pets and livestock to take better steps to protect their animals against what is simply nature at work. :)

and the rest of the ilk.

I think it's the lack of sympathy/empathy whatever from you types that gets me. Like random feral vermin deserves more consideration than people's pets do. If you'd ever been in a henhouse after a fox had dug its way in you might think different.

You cant blame nature for going about its business.

If you had built your Henhouse with consideration to what it is actually there to do (give shelter and protection from predators) you would not have had your Hens eaten by Foxy.

Chicken wire is easily chewed by Foxes so you need to replace any chicken wire with Fox proof mesh (available from most reputable DIY stores) make sure all doors have adequate bolts on them (not silly latches) and lay the Henhouse on a paved base. And thats just for starters.

Have you not read the post correctly or are you just angling for a row over nothing?

Perhaps you should re-read my post. :rolleyes:

I stated that Rabbits are natural food for Foxes and i implied that Mr Fox will have fluffy pet bunny for din dins given the chance, so 'knowing this' (bearing this in mind) I built our Rabbit Hutch to be Fox proof. :)

My point was to a previous poster that said Foxes were nasty and broke in her hutch and ate her pet Bunny.

Its not the Foxes fault... Foxy is just eating for survival and its up to the owners of pets and livestock to take better steps to protect their animals against what is simply nature at work. :)

It can be hard at times mate, I understood your post perfectly. However you might have added that if foxy pokes his nose out when Mr Gamekeeper or Mr Farmer is about, then it's bad news for him. ;)

I think it's the lack of sympathy/empathy whatever from you types that gets me. Like random feral vermin deserves more consideration than people's pets do.

My pet is a 9 foot Boa so lock up Thumpa, cos guess what Cecillia likes to snack on.

It's nature.

yes mate id love to see fox in your garden

its called nature and needing to feed :loopy::loopy::loopy:

Nope, foxes are like cats; they will kill for the sake of it. They'll often kill the entire contents of a chicken coop and just leave them all dead.

Nope, foxes are like cats; they will kill for the sake of it. They'll often kill the entire contents of a chicken coop and just leave them all dead.

Foxes will kill them all so they can return later for the food, they dont eat everything they kill right away.