Nick Clegg runs away!

Wasn’t Don Valley build for the student games which mortgaged Sheffield for decades to come and Meadowhall by the Peel group, I don’t know how the Tories fit into all that

If you can't remember the reconstruction that went on with massive compulsory purchases, clearing of derelict sites, decontamination of waste land, huge efforts put in to drawing investors into the area, then you obvioulsy weren't close enough to the action. Do you think the people that built Meadowhall chanced upon the site by themsleves and sorted out all the planning on their own? The efforts that went into the regeneration were enormous.

I'm not saying that the Tories, when in Government, have showered the region with largesse and bounty untold but to reduce the actions of any Government to the level of 'the Tories are now going to shaft us' which some people seem to do all the time on here is to show a very limited grasp of what is going on.

The government wouldn't even notice.

Or care.

Pretty much like the last one who saw the dole queue steam towards 2.5 million & did bugger all to secure jobs & help industry.... but bailed out misfeasant bankers.

They are all the same...despite the 'we need to reform politics' rhetoric!!!

I'm not saying that the Tories, when in Government, have showered the region with largesse and bounty untold but to reduce the actions of any Government to the level of 'the Tories are now going to shaft us' which some people seem to do all the time on here is to show a very limited grasp of what is going on.

Perhaps you might like to enlighten those of us with "little grasp" with some more condescending comments.

Ps

As an ex-steelworker I am well aware of what was there before the shopping centre and my wife worked in the centre long before it was open to the public.

Edited by Grandad.Malky

Bet them "I Agree With Nick" badges are fetching a FORTUNE on e bay - not...

...and, as you are now "asking" where you think the cuts should be made in Sheffield City Council, here's a suggestion, start with yourself and your mate, Mr Scriven...

It's a pity Forgemasters didn't get the £80 million in the bank as soon as Labour announced it before the election.

Sorry, just to clarify.

When I said the "rest" voted labour it was a figure of speech but they did with 5 out of the 6 seats in Sheffield!

The point was why are people going for Nick Clegg all the time - is it just because he is the only one in the news.

In Sheffield he only represents one ward. There are still 5 other Sheffield MP's who could open their mouths in parlement - they could be campaiging against it - but no since they have spat their dummies out when they lost the election they would rather just sit back and say nothing.

Sorry, just to clarify.

When I said the "rest" voted labour it was a figure of speech but they did with 5 out of the 6 seats in Sheffield!

The point was why are people going for Nick Clegg all the time - is it just because he is the only one in the news.

In Sheffield he only represents one ward. There are still 5 other Sheffield MP's who could open their mouths in parlement - they could be campaiging against it - but no since they have spat their dummies out when they lost the election they would rather just sit back and say nothing.

Never let facts get in the way of a good argument...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/south_yorkshire/10358256.stm

I find this thread fascinating (terrible logic aside).

A raise in VAT sucks... but its about as equal as you can make taxation, as it applies to everybody. Tories also raised capital gains tax for higher-rate tax payers - from 18% to 28%, while for the rest of us it does not change.

Now, maybe tories function different here than elsewhere, but in school we learned that Tories tend to be for elimination of taxes, and limited market regulation, whereas leftists tend to be the other way around (high taxes for lots of funding for social programs, and strict market regulations). With that in mind, doesn't it seem odd that the tories are raising taxes? Maybe its because there's a need for it...

Yeah, raising taxes suck, but at the end of the day, where do you think the money for schools, hospitals, benefits cheques, comes from? I find it odd that people are very supportive of government money going into schools, hospitals, benefit cheques but most people seem to have no idea of where that extra money comes from. Here's a hint - schools and hospitals and, yes, benefit cheques, are paid for by your tax money.... the funding doesn't just magically appear because the populace want it to.

FROM BBC....... Energy Secretary Chris Huhne said it seemed like "a very strong commercial deal" adding: "I don't see any reason why it shouldn't be able to be financed from financial markets.

"I believe that company can go ahead with that project."

Deputy Prime Minister Nick Clegg, a Sheffield MP, said in a statement that he regretted the government "cannot afford to support its expansion" but added that "the truth is that this loan was promised by the outgoing Labour government as a calculated ploy to win support in Sheffield just ahead of the election".

I really think that the petition is just an extension of this. Its very easy to chuck out a couple of press opportunities and soundbites when you want to make yourselves look like you are on the side of the people. Lets just see what happens behind the scenes and see how much protesting really goes on from Blunkett and co in parliament.

"the truth is that this loan was promised by the outgoing Labour government as a calculated ploy to win support in Sheffield just ahead of the election".

Three cynical years before the election. Wow. Good planning.

Do you really think that money from the government gets approved on a whim? I know the press would like us all to think that but the deal in place had gone through years of prep, rigourous reviews etc etc.

I think agree to disagree on this one, but we shall see if the ConDems die by their own swords as it is the public who will decide this in the long run.

Unless you are involved in the talks/after talks I doubt we'll ever know what is being done behind the scenes.

Edited by Ms Macbeth
fixing quotes

"the truth is that this loan was promised by the outgoing Labour government as a calculated ploy to win support in Sheffield just ahead of the election".

Three cynical years before the election. Wow. Good planning.

Do you really think that money from the government gets approved on a whim? I know the press would like us all to think that but the deal in place had gone through years of prep, rigourous reviews etc etc.

I think agree to disagree on this one, but we shall see if the ConDems die by their own swords as it is the public who will decide this in the long run.

Unless you are involved in the talks/after talks I doubt we'll ever know what is being done behind the scenes.

..and we dont need to be.

The people voted in a coalition. The people went out( or not) and put a cross in the box, knowing that every vote counted.

They knew that Clegg had said that he would hold talks with the party who had the highest number of votes. people knew that the chances were that that would be conservative.

You vote with your feet and then after that petitions make no difference.

The people elect a government/coalition and then the people should then accept they should just let them get on with it.

After I sat and listened to the man who talks the most sense in this country, Vince Cable, I am happy to let them make the tough decisions that the country knows it needs them to make.

Edited by Ms Macbeth
fixing quotes