South Road closed - 94/95/123 buses diverted - 25/06/10

From travel south yorkshire:

Information Posted: 25/06/10 @ 09.30

Buses and Supertram: Service 94/95/123 are currently diverting via Service 52 route. More information when available.

Still happening when I came home around 4.30 tonight

There are signs diverting traffic at both ends of South Road but cars could easliy go through with care.

Is there any reason for this?

A burst water main, happened well over 24 hrs ago so no idea why there were still problems this evening.

Yep, repairs to a burst water main. According to my mates who live nearby, when it went it was a veritable fountain and ripped open the road surface.

Ironically, when I was driving to my mate's house last night just after 10pm (I think), there was a river running down Burgoyne Road. Water was forcing its way up through the road surface from under what appeared to be freshly laid tarmac in the road itself. A "Water Board" tranny followed me up and stopped at the location as someone must've reported it. When I left my mates' just after midnight, there was still a river running down Burgoyne but the "Water Board" lads were hard at work trying to sort it.

There are extensive roadworks ongoing in the area due to the upgrading of existing gas pipes, and my mates are wondering whether those works have disrupted the water mains.

It brought quite a lot of the road up on South Rd - looked like an earthquake had happened!!

All those using Greenhow St as a short cut while this work is going on...please slow down a bit. There's a festival event on at the Ebeneezer church today , the whole street is double parked so just slow down a bit and maybe add all of 5 seconds to your journey time.

Still happening when I came home around 4.30 tonight

There are signs diverting traffic at both ends of South Road but cars could easliy go through with care.

Not any more they can't. The burst is over but the actual works are happening now with rolling stretches being closed off for tarmac laying.

As WalkleyIan says, cars are using the little side roads to get round the closed bit. Not ideal.

South Road has now been re-opened.....

Thanks for this Woofy :) ........and seeing as how it is, Thread Closed