Ultra loud motorbike commuting across Hillsborough at 5.45 in the morning.

The poor sod has just gone by - I'm here in Middlewood - it's a Sunday...he should be wrapped up in bed enjoying a day off :D At least it isn't raining. ;)

current law on motorcycle exhaust states that each exhaust should be marked with a british standards approval mark and also have a sound output not exceeding 82db. Mot testing guidelines state that the mot tester should use his own judgement as to excessive noise as the use of db meters is not required during the mot test, most mot test centres do not have the required equipment to test sound output and test centres being variable in size sound reflection etc the exhaust noise is down to the deafness of the tester and his judgement. From a police point of view fitting an illegal exhaust can result in seizure of the machine under the construction and usage laws if detected although its more common to get an on the spot penalty or producer to get the exhaust changed and checked at an MOT testing station.

The loud pipes save lives arguement has been used on many motorcycle forums as an excuse for fitting so called race cans (silencers) to motorcycles, theory being if a pedestrian hears the motorcycle coming they wont step out into the road infront of it. Usually fitting such cans is down to someone trying to squeeze the last drops of horsepower out of the engine, hence the common sound of the banshee wail as the motorcycle screams through the gearbox.

most mot test centres do not have the required equipment to test sound output

And neither do most cops at the side of the road.

John X

And neither do most cops at the side of the road.

John X

They just checked for a baffle when I had a road side stop.

Sheffield Telegraph ( 1 Sept 11, page 18 )

A witness to the incident commented "the exhaust definitely didn`t sound legal".

A witness said......

Very scientific.

My old CB900 with 4 into 2's sounded loud. It was perfectly legal.

My old neighbour reported it for being illegal though because she reckoned "it didn't sound legal".

I knew I wasn`t the only one who hated loud motorbikes, or, in fact even that I was in a minority.

I`ve just read an article in the Daily Telegraph about pollution which, interestingly, suggested that Carbon Monoxide acts as an anaesthetic to help people, cope with the stresses of city life. But what`s most significant for the purposes of this thread was that the noise pollution was the most significant source of stress to city dwellers.

So, if any more proof were needed, which I don`t personally think is needed but even so, loud motorcyclists are selfish gits, and, officially, most people would agree with me.

The loud pipes save lives arguement has been used on many motorcycle forums as an excuse for fitting so called race cans (silencers) to motorcycles, theory being if a pedestrian hears the motorcycle coming they wont step out into the road infront of it. Usually fitting such cans is down to someone trying to squeeze the last drops of horsepower out of the engine, hence the common sound of the banshee wail as the motorcycle screams through the gearbox.

I agree to a point on the loud pipes save lives bit.

There comes a point when it's just excessive. 82gb is pretty damn loud.

It's usually motorcrossers that are the worst offenders.

Speaking as a biker :D

I to, have hear this guy on his green bike, it drives me potty, every bl....dy day does he come past my house roaring past thinking he's Barry bl....dy Sheen . Then to cap it all I hear him comming home as well. Who was the lady he didnt stop for on the pelican crossing , because i witnessed this

:rant::mad::rant::rant:

It's one thing that really riles me up, I could quite happily shoot someone for having their motorbike exhaust loud, someone used to do it on Granville Road and I used to have to put my fingers in my ears, no-one wants to listen to that first thing in a morning or at any other time, I'd love to wake them up from a deep sleep with a horn!! rant over!

We`ve just got back from New Zealand, and that`s a lovely country. Anyone who has been there will testify to that, loads of people from over here are trying to emigrate there !

I`ll tell you something, they`re actually bothered about peoples quality of life. As you travel through most towns on the State Highways you`ll see large signs "Engine Braking Prohibited for XX kms".

Why ?

They recognise that people don`t like traffic noise, so in NZ they try to improve peoples quality of life by reducing it.

In fact come to think of it I don`t really remember hearing an over loud motorbike in NZ, the coppers stop them.

Compare that to this country.

Loads of selfish cretins flying about on anti socially loud bikes, and what do the police over here do ?

Sweet FA, because the fact is they don`t give a toss about people quality of life.

Something wrong I think........

One used to go thro the springs at 8amlike a rocket every mon to fri but not heard him for a bit it might have blown up

We`ve just got back from New Zealand, and that`s a lovely country. Anyone who has been there will testify to that, loads of people from over here are trying to emigrate there !

I`ll tell you something, they`re actually bothered about peoples quality of life. As you travel through most towns on the State Highways you`ll see large signs "Engine Braking Prohibited for XX kms".

Why ?

They recognise that people don`t like traffic noise, so in NZ they try to improve peoples quality of life by reducing it.

In fact come to think of it I don`t really remember hearing an over loud motorbike in NZ, the coppers stop them.

Compare that to this country.

Loads of selfish cretins flying about on anti socially loud bikes, and what do the police over here do ?

Sweet FA, because the fact is they don`t give a toss about people quality of life.

Something wrong I think........

Actually, now I come to think about it, it was the same around Sydney, loads of signs saying something like "No compression braking in residential areas" (meaning no engine braking). In Britain, it`s "all you anti socials can make as much bleedin` noise as you want", we (the police, or the D of T) don`t give a toss.......