Ultra loud motorbike commuting across Hillsborough at 5.45 in the morning.

I don't think it's "many" bike owners. Of the 4 I know, none have ever done it.

The police rarely stop bikes or cars however noisy they are, despite the fact I pay them to do so. I assume they think they`re not there to improve the environment. In a way they`re correct, there should arguably be a separate agency tasked with doing that. Not just loud cars and bikes, but for all the other anti environment stuff, such as fly tipping. They should be given real teeth and big fines would be imposed.

Very few MOT centres will fail a bike (or car) for having an illegal exhaust, I`ve asked the garage I use and that`s what they told me.

---------- Post added 08-03-2017 at 13:40 ----------

It worries me that you, and others, think that objecting to ear splitting, and, in fact, illegal, exhausts, makes me self righteous. I`d have thought it just makes me normal, I`ve never met anyone who likes being deafened by some noisy vehicle. Why would they ?

Define ear splitting. Are there many cases of ears being split by noisy exhausts?

Please tell me you have done a survey.

My exhaust is deep and throaty and has a nice sounding base when ticking over.

Yes, if I open up the throttle and ride like a loon it is very loud and anti social were I to be in a built up area, however I am of an age where I don't ride like a loon, even on my sport bike, and have only ever had other drivers alongside tell me that my bike looks and sounds marvellous.

I obviously haven't met you.

As far as the MOT is concerned unless its blowing/damaged and does not show "not for road use" then its not a failure. It is still illegal to fit an exhaust for road use that isn't to the relevant bs au whatever but the bs stamping soon disappears so it is not enforceable to be able to read it. Twenty odd years ago (when i was young and stupid) you would be pulled for a noisy exhaust and given much unwanted scrutiny. I suppose the only saving grace is that the noisy bikes then were 100% legal in all other ways.

I only know of people being fined if it was blowing whether it was affecting the noise or not.

many of the bike owners swap the exhaust for a quieter one then back again after the test.

It's a lot of bother. It's much easier and cheaper to simply fit playing cards in the spokes.

As far as the MOT is concerned unless its blowing/damaged and does not show "not for road use" then its not a failure. It is still illegal to fit an exhaust for road use that isn't to the relevant bs au whatever but the bs stamping soon disappears so it is not enforceable to be able to read it. Twenty odd years ago (when i was young and stupid) you would be pulled for a noisy exhaust and given much unwanted scrutiny. I suppose the only saving grace is that the noisy bikes then were 100% legal in all other ways.

I only know of people being fined if it was blowing whether it was affecting the noise or not.

That's not true at all. From the gov's website:

It’s illegal to modify the exhaust system to make a vehicle noisier after it has been ‘type approved’ (checked it meets environmental and safety standards).

https://www.gov.uk/noise-pollution-road-train-plane/vehicle-noise-limits

I`m only going by what my bloke said. I suppose if it was absolutely ear splitting, such as it was painful for them to test it, it might be different. But, as has been said on here a few times, many of the bike owners swap the exhaust for a quieter one then back again after the test. Incidentally, that by itself would prove they know they`re doing something wrong and, at best, anti social.

Again, where do you get this info from? I've never done it, never needed to as it's always passed as it is, neither has any other biker I know, and I know a lot of bikers. Even my mates aprilia rsv mille r, with straight through twin akrapovic race cans, passes its Mot as is and has only ever had positive comments from the police when they've seen and heard it at squires and Willingham.

I fully understand if a exhaust is very loud and the bike is going past at stupid o clock in thr morning, but personally i wouldnt be bothered but thats me !

That's not true at all. From the gov's website:

https://www.gov.uk/noise-pollution-road-train-plane/vehicle-noise-limits

Modified exhaust systems

It’s illegal to modify the exhaust system to make a vehicle noisier after it has been ‘type approved’ (checked it meets environmental and safety standards).

The police can also take action if your vehicle’s silencer doesn’t work in the way it was designed or if you’re driving in a way that creates too much noise.

The "BSAU whatever"- changes with year of vehicle- IS the type approval, you don't have to fit an original replacement exhaust from the manufacturer so long as its the correct bs for the year of the vehicle. It is illegal to modify that exhaust to make it noisier like cutting out the baffles. The police can't force someone to make sure the stamping is clearly visible for the life of the exhaust ie. doesn't rust over or gets scratched off or painted over.

That's the law but different to the MOT which has its own standards, a tester might fail a noisy exhaust although in good condition with no "not for road use markings" as he personally doesn't like it but if the vehicle owner appealed (he would have to be brave enough to put it up for close scrutiny which would be most unlikely, probably find another way to getting passed) technically could overturn it.

This thread is about "ultra loud" motorcycles, aftermarket silencers can be quite loud when having their nuts revved of as these morons do but chugging along at low revs wouldn't bother anybody.

The ones on penistone road are purposely revving there engines to bits just to unsociably wind local residents up, such low life deserves a valve shooting through there saddle at the very least.

I am sure if the police kept pulling them they would find something, if not at least keep winding them up like they do us.

Thats what a lot of noise does to you,makes you deaf in your old age.

:hihi: I didn't mean that but I meant the passing train becomes part of the passing traffic

This exchange took place in another thread about fly tipping, but, I feel, is just as relevant, if not more so, on here.

Maybe it's that guy on the ultra loud motorbike doing all the tipping? [i think this is supposed to be a **** take]

On the basis that someone guilty of one form of anti-social behaviour is more likely to be guilty of others, you may be right.

One week later :

Actually, something happened today to indicate I`m right in my theory.

I was driving up Parkside road, a dark grey "customised" Land Rover was in front of me. It had a very loud exhaust, and, worse, when he floored the throttle it puthered clouds of noxious smoke out of the exhaust. I assume it`d been "tuned" for more power at the expense of more pollution for everyone else to breath in. He then turned his stereo on at very great volume, I could hear it in my car despite having the windows wound up and my stereo on. What are we up to now ? Is it three types of anti social behaviour * ? But he then makes it a big FOUR (or five), by throwing his litter out of the window. My son was in the car with me and pointed out he was "a naughty man", and my lad is only 4 years old, but he`s been bought up "right"........

And our mate in the Land Rover had a silver Union Jack emblem on the back of his vehicle. He loves his country does he ? Not enough, it seems, to stop him despoiling it.

* Four if you count flooring the throttle in a built up area in busy traffic. If you think about it, managing to do that in the rush hour whilst in a huge queue right up to Leppings Lane requires an exceptional degree of poor driving.

Edited by Justin Smith

I once saw a Brexiter who voted cos he believed that 350 million would go back to the NHS, driving up the road in his Audi/BMW/Mercedes with a very loud exhaust, speeding and driving too close to the vehicle in front.

He always drives in the outside lane and wakes people up driving across Sheffield in the early hours.

When he is not in his German car it's his illegally loud motorbike.

I know he changes his exhaust before he goes for an mot and he is a relight rong un!

There you go Justin.

I bet that has your pulse rate racing :)