Ultra loud motorbike commuting across Hillsborough at 5.45 in the morning.

The bickering and infantile point scoring can cease now.

Its an infantile thread tbh moderator. Its been going on toooooooooo long!

Its an infantile thread tbh moderator. Its been going on toooooooooo long!

It is most certainly not an infantile thread, it`s quite serious. Many people, I would say most people, dislike loud cars and bikes, particularly when they wake them (or their kids up). In fact they`re illegal. The only people who would want this thread locked are people with noisy cars or bikes, because, let`s face it, they don`t actually have a reasonable defence. All they actually say is they just want to do it and aren't bothered what other people think.

Actually, I`d go further, certainly when first started, this thread was a local forum at it`s best. It was using pooled knowledge to find something out. Occasionally it still is doing that.

Edited by Justin Smith

It is most certainly not an infantile thread, it`s quite serious. Many people, I would say most people, dislike loud cars and bikes, particularly when they wake them (or their kids up). In fact they`re illegal. The only people who would want this thread locked are people with noisy cars or bikes, because, let`s face it, they don`t actually have a reasonable defence. All they actually say is they just want to do it and aren't bothered what other people think.

Actually, I`d go further, certainly when first started, this thread was a local forum at it`s best. It was using pooled knowledge to find something out. Occasionally it still is doing that.

Did I miss something? I don't look in for a few hours and it all appears to have gone pear shaped.

No , I actually want to this thread to stay open. Your sense of self righteousness amuses me.

It passes by every day surely you must be used to it by now and sleep through it? My grandparents next to a train station and don't even hear anything now.

Illegal how? As said before, my bike has an aftermarket pipe, it's a fair bit louder than standard. If it were illegal, surely it would fail an Mot, or the police would pull me over for it. Funnily enough, neither of those things have happened.

It passes by every day surely you must be used to it by now and sleep through it? My grandparents next to a train station and don't even hear anything now.

Thats what a lot of noise does to you,makes you deaf in your old age.

Illegal how? As said before, my bike has an aftermarket pipe, it's a fair bit louder than standard. If it were illegal, surely it would fail an Mot, or the police would pull me over for it. Funnily enough, neither of those things have happened.

The police rarely stop bikes or cars however noisy they are, despite the fact I pay them to do so. I assume they think they`re not there to improve the environment. In a way they`re correct, there should arguably be a separate agency tasked with doing that. Not just loud cars and bikes, but for all the other anti environment stuff, such as fly tipping. They should be given real teeth and big fines would be imposed.

Very few MOT centres will fail a bike (or car) for having an illegal exhaust, I`ve asked the garage I use and that`s what they told me.

---------- Post added 08-03-2017 at 13:40 ----------

Did I miss something? I don't look in for a few hours and it all appears to have gone pear shaped.

No , I actually want to this thread to stay open. Your sense of self righteousness amuses me.

It worries me that you, and others, think that objecting to ear splitting, and, in fact, illegal, exhausts, makes me self righteous. I`d have thought it just makes me normal, I`ve never met anyone who likes being deafened by some noisy vehicle. Why would they ?

How have you managed to decide that an exhaust is illegal based on hearing it from a distance?

The police rarely stop bikes or cars however noisy they are, despite the fact I pay them to do so. I assume they think they`re not there to improve the environment. In a way they`re correct, there should arguably be a separate agency tasked with doing that. Not just loud cars and bikes, but for all the other anti environment stuff, such as fly tipping. They should be given real teeth and big fines would be imposed.

Very few MOT centres will fail a bike (or car) for having an illegal exhaust, I`ve asked the garage I use and that`s what they told me?

I find that hard to believe Justin. Garages would lose their license to do MOTs if they were found to not be conforming to the law and be hit with fines and criminal charges. Unless they are doing their 'mate' a favour I can't see what's in it for them to turn a blind eye when they gain nothing but risk prosecution.

People actually swap to a different exhaust to pass the MOT, and then swap back again (or open the bypass value), apparently.

I find that hard to believe Justin. Garages would lose their license to do MOTs if they were found to not be conforming to the law and be hit with fines and criminal charges. Unless they are doing their 'mate' a favour I can't see what's in it for them to turn a blind eye when they gain nothing but risk prosecution.

I`m only going by what my bloke said. I suppose if it was absolutely ear splitting, such as it was painful for them to test it, it might be different. But, as has been said on here a few times, many of the bike owners swap the exhaust for a quieter one then back again after the test. Incidentally, that by itself would prove they know they`re doing something wrong and, at best, anti social.