Area Snobbery in Sheffield

The one that makes me smile is the area around the triangle S9 alot of people who live around there call it Handsworth and not Darnall

Oh wind your neck in.

What do you want us to do? Mope around 24 hours a day and perform Opus Dei rituals on ourself to purge our souls of evil?

Sounds good to me, but WHERE shall we do it - Dore or Totley or maybe Bradway..?!!! :gag:

Dungworth born and bred and still live there. Funnily enough I dont feel any need to jazz my address up:D:D

Dungworth born and bred and still live there. Funnily enough I dont feel any need to jazz my address up:D:D

Sounds like a crap area.

Don't worry! SatNav gets most places wrong! Like the lorry driver that was in Spain looking for Gibraltor and SatNav took him to the Nature Reserve, Gibraltor Point, just outside Skegness... :o

There was a famous fairweather (aren't they all) Chelsea fan who using their SatNav drove to Stamford Bridge village near York for a match!

lol Iv known people from Foxhill say they live in Grenoside lol :) So funny. And apparently Shiregreen is so near Ecclesfield it may aswell be called Ecclesfield. Im sure the people paying bigger house prices for the nicer area wont appreciate that lol :) x

The main one I've noticed recently is how promotional/marketing materials for the city and a lot of middle class people from West Sheffield talk about it being in the North Midlands (i.e. aligning it more with north Derbyshire and north Nottinghamshire than the rest of Yorkshire).

According to google maps Manor is Norton! sure that won't go down well with a few!!

So is Shiregreen according to google maps! When I use google on my phone it tells me my location and it also says Norton when I am at work at Attercliffe....

According to google maps Manor is Norton! sure that won't go down well with a few!!

Norton covers most of Sheffield if you use Google!

Why would anyone in Lodge Moor want to describe their address as being in Fulwood? Lodge Moor is pretty much the same as Fulwood but better because it's nearer the open countryside!

True.

When we sold our house on St Albans Road the estate agents (based in Crosspool) advertised the address as being Upper Fulwood. It isn't!

I (still) live on Lodge Moor and wouldn't deem it necessary to call it anything else.

True.

When we sold our house on St Albans Road the estate agents (based in Crosspool) advertised the address as being Upper Fulwood. It isn't!

I (still) live on Lodge Moor and wouldn't deem it necessary to call it anything else.

Upper Fulwood?

Thats just ridiculous!!

Better tell the Ordnance Survey that their maps are wrong then!

See here:

http://getamap.ordnancesurvey.co.uk/getamap/frames.htm

and search for 'Abbeydale'.

There is a very old thread in this, however I would ask you this.

Are Millhouses Park, Millhouses Lane, Millhouses Tesco and the Millhouses Hotel in Abbeydale, or could they be in Millhouses?

Is the Beauchief Hotel, Beauchief Golf Course and Beauchief Abbey in Abbbeydale, or could they be in Beauchief?

Abbeydale Industrial Hamlet has a good shout, but still finds itself in Beauchief.

Abbeydale is derived from The Abbey In The Dale, that existed as an area prior to industrialisation and mass house building. Is the part of Abbeydale Road between Archer Road cross roads and Highfields perhaps Abbeydale? My wife has worked in three offices on that run and none have the postal address of Abbeydale.

This has been an interest of mine for many years, I once viewed a map of the area showing Beauchief Abbey and the Hamlet as being situated in The Abbey In The Dale, everything else was farm land, no terraced houses at all on Abbeydale Road.

Over to you mate.