Our Big, Fat Hints and Tips Thread.

Inspired by Moonfire yesterday, I decided to start a thread about all those little pearls of wisdom to make our woolly lives a bit easier. So here is a tip from Moonfire, via myself, that I had never thought of doing:

Knitting two sleeves at the same on the same needle, hence making sure they are the same length.

Simple but effective, like me! So it's up to everybody now to hand over their secret ways of making the perfect sock or seam, or any general information to make us more perfect in our ways.

I am struggling to think of anything clever...everyone else probably already knows this but just in case:

Slipping the first stitch of every row when knitting things with straight edges, like scarves, rectangle / square blankets etc., to keep the edges neat and tidy looking

When decreasing for armhole edges or shaping, make the decrease one stitch in (e.g. K1, then K2tog) - edges look neater and the eventual sewing up is easier and neater too!

OOOOH *excited* I have given someone a good idea ;)

*chuckles*

There arn't any more pearls of wisdom apart from don't start another project till you have finished the others that are stuffed away in the back of the cupboard......startitis is a recognised thing for knitters and crocheters alike, but it doesn't help the person who has been waiting for their baby jumper for the child that is now 14 ;)

Oh and you can never have enough books on the subject too :)

Knit something you really like the look of. Then it won't get boring and you'll do a better job of it.

here's a tip, when you buy a hank, skein or whatever you want to call it make sure you roll it into a ball right away otherwise if you start it, roll half of it up, leave it and then try use it again, you will end up with a mess like I have spending pretty much all day trying to unravel it all!!

...so I am getting quite a collection of circular needs and DPN's, they won't fit in my needle case, what does everyone else do?

...so I am getting quite a collection of circular needs and DPN's, they won't fit in my needle case, what does everyone else do?

I have a case for circulars and dpns and another one for straights. I think I have seen a case that you can make for circulars - let me have a look and get back to you.

EDIT: There are loads of free patterns if you Google, but I quite like this one if you dont fancy sewing

Edited by Lucy-Lastic

Hi Moonfire, I use a CD wallet for storing circular needles.

:)

Great LisaH & Bami, thanks for the tips, they are both wonderful :)

I have a Q at the risk of sound really dumb, when knitting the two sleeves on the same pin, do you use separate balls of wool?

I have a Q at the risk of sound really dumb, when knitting the two sleeves on the same pin, do you use separate balls of wool?

Yes you use 2 separate balls - it does make it so both sleeves are the same size without the hassle of counting rows :)

Thanks Lisa. I thought it would be, but just needed to check :)