Should Castle Market be a listed building?

If money is tight why can't they be cleaned up and renovated.

Give the old town hall building a pressure wash on the outside too to brighten that up a bit, The Canon pub too, looks down right grotty - the whole area has been allowed to fester and just needs a great big clean up!

leggy,

It needs more than that I am afraid,

WB

does anyone know when abouts the green shading/film was put in covering the rooflights in the current markets building? (in the fresh food section). Or for that matter, the secondary lighting grid?

It strikes me that both of these things served to make this area a lot darker, more oppressive and, with the ravages of time, more grotty.

I always wondered how the food hall would look if the low level lighting and green film was removed, and a lick of paint.maintenance performed. think it would change it a lot. i can guess some of the reasons for its original installation (e.g. too bright/hot from the sun through the roof glazing, too dark after sundown), but think that there could be solutions to these using up to date technology.

final question (of 3) - ive heard it referenced that the markets building in part dates back to the 19thC. yet to all intents and purposes it looks like a 50s/60s building. any idea which bit might survive from the older building?

There is nothing about the Haymarket are that couldn't be improved by a small well controlled nuclear explosion.

I used to work at the market,and underneath it is ruins of a castle,the secruity gaurds do take people to see the castle,i think they should make people more awear that a castle is there(Sorry about the spelling,im not well,,,AWWW)

Don't worry. I know who submitted the application and it's being done as an exposé on English Heritage by the anti-Park Hill lobby.

It's meant to make a mockery of them, like entering a 2-year-old's finger painting in a 'modern art' competition etc.

BTW, the building around there that really needs to be saved is the lovely old Victorian Central Post Office just off Fitzalan Square:

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y257/Steelcityrise/dc028630.jpg

I totally 100% agree with you, but as what? The hotel idea fell on deaf ears, perhaps it's days are numbered, I haven't got a clue flower, but whatever you decide count me in, whatever that means.

Remember shopping in the old Castle Hill Market just after the war? Buying a small, white porcelain dishes of a dozen cockles drenched in vingar. I think they cost 3p or 6p a dish. I used to catch the tram to the top of Corporation Street, walking down past the steel works to meet my dad, a "little mester". Then we'd walk down Bridge St. to the market to buy a bag of fresh mussels or a crab for tea. He taught me how to boil and shell mussels, removing the ‘beards’, and how to dress a crab, carefully removing the gills or ‘deaf-ears’ as he called them, warning that they were deadly poisonous. Does anyone remember the Bailey bridge over the bomb-site connecting Castle Hill Market with the Norfolk Market Hall and those sugar-coated, acid-tasting, boiled sweets like goldfish?

If money is tight why can't they be cleaned up and renovated.

Give the old town hall building a pressure wash on the outside too to brighten that up a bit, The Canon pub too, looks down right grotty - the whole area has been allowed to fester and just needs a great big clean up!

The Canon pub would be open and thriving, if were permitted to open as a pub.